Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Anyone take this Antibiotic and BF?

I have either a clogged duct or mastitis and I go to the ob tomorrow to tell for sure, but she gave me a prescription for Cephalexin (generic for Keflex) and I can't decide if I should breast feed while taking this. The nurse I talked to at the ob's office said it was fine, but I had a lot of problems with them giving me false/wrong answers while pregnant. So I have little trust. Online the AAP doesn't list this drug at all. I plan on calling the pediatrician in the morning and I also see my LC tomorrow but has anyone else taken this drug and continued to breast feed?

I may just give her my freezer stash tonight and still pump the milk and save it to see what they say. 

Re: Anyone take this Antibiotic and BF?

• Options
    I was prescribed a different antibiotic but keflex was listed on La Leche's website as a reccomended treatment for clogged ducts and mastitis.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I did...well technically pumped, but he still got the milk.

Make sure you are eating plenty of yogurt to discourage thrush. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on it for the 2nd time now for an infection from my episiotomy and now a UTI, and it's totally safe during BF
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • Options
    I was prescribed that and was told that it would have been alright for me to BF until they decided I also needed four shots of some other antibiotic and a two week round of yet another on top of it. They said any one of them would have been fine, but the fact that I was on so many just wasn't good for LO. Thus, I had to pump & dump for three weeks, which ultimately lead to the loss of my supply. GL!
  • Options
    I took it for mastitis when I was bf-ing my son.  It's one of the "safe" antibiotics for nursing moms and i did bf while I was on it.  I say go ahead and do it.  Nursing through the mastitis will help it go away faster--you need to drain the breast and your baby is more effective than any pump could be.   
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"