Babies: 0 - 3 Months

So sad about BFing

LO was in the NICU for 5 days after she was born. During the first two days, I couldn't nurse her and was given some pretty sorry advice on pumping and hardly established a supply. My doc ended up putting me on domperidone for three weeks. I was able to nurse but had to go back to work earlier than planned. I was unable to pump while at work.

All that combined has led me to having next to nothing. I'm just really bummed. I've thought about nursing LO while home, but she only nurses for about 5 minutes before she decides she wants some real food. I didn't think I would enjoy nursing as much as I did, and now I feel like she doesn't need me anymore since anyone can give her a bottle.

I guess I just needed to vent a little.

Ok, thanks for attending my pity party. It's over now.

Re: So sad about BFing

• I don't have any advice, just wanted to say that I feel your pain.  My baby was also in the hospital for 5 days and has to eat formula due to jaundice.  I've been bedridden since she was born with a 4th degree tear and infection, so I can't get up and go to her when she cries.  Now I'll likely need surgery for the infection, which will mean another week in the hospital without her and another month of bedrest.  All of this makes breastfeeding SO hard and I feel so inadequate because of it.  I also didn't realize how much I would enjoy it, and I really feel sad that I can't be her sole source of food.

*hugs*

• I'm sorry.  I never got a good supply so I barely produce any milk for ds.  I can understand your heartbreak as I was just devastated when I found how much weight ds had lost when I was ebfing.  I don't let anyone (besides dh) feed ds when I'm around because I still want to be the only one who feeds him.  That probably sounds really selfish but oh well.  I let my mom feed him while I was transitioning him to the bottle and still wanted him to associate bfing with me and the bottle with someone else and I got super jealous so from that point on, I don't let any other women feed him if I'm around to do so myself.  And I really think it's just women.  I don't know if I would mind if another male fed him.  It's weird.
    My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO was in the NICU too (for 1 month).  We were lucky and got some great advice on pumping so I was able to establish a good supply.  This however didn't translate to excellent bf-ing for us as he gets quite tired while feeding and finds bottle feeding easier. 

I've kept feeding regardless of how many bottles he takes.  Some days his sessions are longer and other times they are quite short.  Nevertheless it's a special time for the two of us and we've continued it.  I do get frustrated though.  Today was especially hard as he only fed for 2-5 minutes each time.  

If it's important to you, keep doing it.  It's a time you'll cherish and any amount of bf-ing you do is wonderful for the baby. 

• Are you able to pump on your lunch break? I had to go back earlier because I am a student so I had to be in class two weeks after our daughter was born to take my finals so I could graduate. Now I have been in clinicals which are 9 hour days at a medical clinic 5 days a week since she was 4 weeks old. I know it's hard because I didn't have anytime to pump, I end up using 15 mins. of my 30 min. lunch break to pump and cleanup so my milk has gone way down, but if you keep at it and make sure to pump as much as you can at home you can continue to get milk. I agree, my daughter doesn't want to breastfeed anymore because she has gotten so use to the bottle, but at least I know I am giving her what I can to keep her health, I still do it very rarely because she wants a bottle after a couple minutes, so I end up just pumping anyway, so I hear ya there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"