Parenting after a Loss
Options

Question about breastfeeding and pumping

If LO takes a bottle instead of breastfeeding, do you pump as she is taking the bottle to keep up your supply? I would like DH to feed her once during the night but if I have to wake up anyway to pump then I don't really know what the point is. I would have him do it so I could get some sleep. 

Re: Question about breastfeeding and pumping

• Options
    Also when LO starts sleeping through the night, do you still have to wake up to pump?
  • Options
    Depends who you ask (LOL). Some mommas can STTN and others notice a drop in their supply if they do so. I know some working mommas who continued pumping in the middle of the night until baby weaned. I don't bother letting DH feed in the middle of the night. It's 100 times worse in my mind to wake up and pump. DS is cute and warm and snuggly - can't say the same about my Medela :)
    BFP#1 May 17, 2008
    Surgery for ectopic pregnancy June 3, 2008
    BFP #2 September 25, 2008
    Baby boy born June 4, 2009 at 40 weeks
    8 pounds 13 ounces and 23 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #3 February 6, 2011
    First U/S February 25, 2011 = TWINS!!!
    Boy/girl twins born October 4, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was lucky and didn't notice a drop in supply.  I also did not drop my night time pump until 7 weeks (right before I went back to work).  DS started sleeping through the night at 9 weeks or so.  Keep track of total output for a couple of days and then try it and see, but I would wait a few more weeks before trying. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

When EC started sleeping through the night, I kind of had to ease into sleeping through the night myself.  I would wake up in pain if I slept too long.  Some nights I would pump just before I went to bed, others I would wake up and pump.  I could usually go 7 hours though before needing to pump.  Now that she's older, I can go a lot longer at night and I don't have to wake up to pump.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Whenever he gets a bottle (or got a bottle, since we don't do them much anymore) I pump. We never did bottles in the middle of the night. DH would bring him to me and I'd nurse from bed, then DH would get back up and put him back in bed. For the first 3 months he was in our room in the PNP. After that he went to the crib and I would go to his room to nurse him in the middle of the night. He was only up once per night by then, so it really wasn't a big deal. Even now, he goes to bed at 7 and is up at 5 to nurse. I go up to nurse him and then he goes back to bed until 7:30. It takes only about 20-30 minutes out of my night, but it's much easier than preparing a bottle in the middle of the night - especially when you have a baby crying while he waits.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"