Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Ok, now I'm questioning myself

I've been reading posts over here and on the BFing board about babies Henry's age eating every 2-3 hours.  Henry is nursing every 4 hours and sometimes will go a little longer at night.

He has had 6 wet diapers so far today and 3 dirty ones. He isn't acting cranky between meals and when he gets upset he can be soothed by a paci.  Based on this he's getting enough, right?  Maybe I'll call the pedi tomorrow to be sure. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Ok, now I'm questioning myself

• Options
    I let my little man feed on demand and he goes anywhere from 3-5hrs between feeds (including nights) days are usually around 3 to 3.5.  Pedi said as long as he is growing then there is no problem.  They are still suppose to be gaining about an ounce a day.  At his 1 mo he was 9lbs 4 oz, at his 2 month (today) he was 11lbs 13 oz.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Henry's numbers are fine-- LC's told me that LO needs to have 6-8 wet and 3-5 soiled per day.  DS often has more than 8 wet diapers, but usually has between 3-5 considerably dirty diapers-- almost every diaper has at least some poop though. 

Per the recommendation of LC's, I just make sure DS gets in at least 8 feedings per day, but I feed on demand so some days he eats much more than 8 times.  I generally will not let DS sleep longer than 3 hours during the day, mainly because I need to wake him up to get in the 8 feedings with the hopes of a large (usually around 4 hours or so) at night.  The pediatrician told me I can let him go 6 hours between feedings at night if he is sleeping, and I would LOVE for that to happen.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sounds like he's doing fine to me...DD did 3-4 hour stretches when I was BFing her.  As long as he's still gaining weight and doesn't seem sick, I think you're fine.  Of course, calling pedi is always good if you're concerned.
  • Options
    DS nurses every 2 hours... I tried spacing it out to 3 hours, and he stopped STTN, so I quickly changed back to every 2. :) He will sleep 6+ hours at night as long as I nurse him every 2 hours during the day. Every baby is different, but you could call your pedi just for your reassurance.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageNOVAMommy5:
    DS nurses every 2 hours... I tried spacing it out to 3 hours, and he stopped STTN, so I quickly changed back to every 2. :) He will sleep 6+ hours at night as long as I nurse him every 2 hours during the day. Every baby is different, but you could call your pedi just for your reassurance.

Maybe that's our problem.  He usually will only go 5 hours at the most at night. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageAMYfromKY:

Maybe that's our problem.  He usually will only go 5 hours at the most at night. 

Worth a try if you don't mind more nursing sessions. :) My pedi recommended it when DD was an infant, and it worked with getting her to STTN early. DS slept a 6.5 hour stretch last night, but an 8 hour one the night before!! Granted, he's only slept 8 hours twice in his short little life, but it was pretty great. :) It's 6+ consistently, though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My Henry has never really eaten more than 8 times a day, and 7 is pretty average. However, now that I'm not waking him up to eat, he usually does go at least 3 hours between, and there are some times when it's just 6 feedings a day (and once 5, which freaked me out). Diapers have always been good, so I just follow his lead. He has been less consistent lately, sometimes eating as soon as 90 minutes later, which I'm hoping is due to a growth spurt!

You're close to your 2-month checkup, right? Weight gain at that appointment should be a good indicator.

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Don't worry, I'm sure he's doing fine.  At our 1 month appt, pedi asked if DD was eating every  3 - 4 hours during the day, and that we could expect up to 6 hours at night, but if she went longer at night not to worry.  Prior to the past few days - 6 wk growth spurt! - DD had been eating somewhere between every 3.5 - 4.5 hours. 

Call the pedi to be sure, but I'm sure he's fine.  You're doing great!

• Options

it sounds to me like he's doing perfectly...DS eats every 3 to 3.5 hours during the day (we wake him up if he's still sleeping at the end of the 3.5 hrs), and at night we let him sleep as long as he wants now that he's over 1 month old.

he eats around 3.5 ozs of pumped milk everytime, and has just in the past couple of days started sleeping from 11 or midnight to 5:30 or 6 am. who knows if that'll last or not, though.

• Options
    imagetigergreen:

it sounds to me like he's doing perfectly...DS eats every 3 to 3.5 hours during the day (we wake him up if he's still sleeping at the end of the 3.5 hrs), and at night we let him sleep as long as he wants now that he's over 1 month old.

Ditto this exactly. She normally eats every 3 hrs in the day but I wake her up at 3.5 if she's still sleeping. At night she's been going from 9/10pm to 3/4am. Physically I think she'd be fine eating every 4 hours during the day (meaning I'm sure she'd be getting enough) but my reasoning behind feeding her every 3/3.5 is so she gets enough during the day and isn't trying to make up for it at night. So maybe Henry would go a little longer at night if you tried this?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"