Preemies

XP - Upper Endoscopy?

Has anyone's LO had an upper endoscopy?  Jacob will be having one on December 10.  They are trying to figure out why he refuses all of his bottles and has been doing so since he was about 2 months old.  They will be looking at his reflux (which we know he has pretty severly), allergies, infection, anatomical abnormalities, etc.

He's never been under general anesthesia either.  So, I'm wondering how your LO might have been after the procedure.  My gastro assures me that he should be fine that afternoon.  But, of course, I'm nervous.

TIA!

PS - Jacob was not a preemie, but I know that many of you have feeding issues like reflux and thought you might have some experience.

Allison
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: XP - Upper Endoscopy?

• DD had an endoscopy done to check for a "floppy windpipe", but she was young enough not to be sedated. Then she had an upper GI x-ray done and that was nothing for her, just gave her a bottle and laid her on a table. They checked for alot of the same things your LO is getting checked. The x-ray was a lot less stressful for DD than the endoscopy.
  • hey!  we're having that tomorrow.  I'll let you know-we were admitted friday when my guy stopped eating altogether.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi there.  Yes we had all of the above for both my boys.  They were 10mos old by the time we convinced the dr's something was really wrong and they were already FTT because it was taking two hours to feed 5oz to one baby (times two!) so something had to be done.  Since no problems beyond horribly severe reflux were determined and they were FTT they were put on GJ tubes immediately following the endoscopy and then four months later we graduated to G tubes where we've been ever since.  The reflux is super severe for us still today, but getting better.  Now our bigger hurdle is getting over oral aversions to eating.

The general anesthesia is scary every time you have to go through this, but generally speaking they wake up pretty much in the same mood as they went under the anesthesia in, so try to make it as calm and relaxed as possible, no big deal.  Take some books to read, favorite lovey, pictures to look at of you and grandparents and favorite people he will recognize while you are in the prep area.  Try to get the docs to let you stay with him until he's under, but don't be too cuddly as some kids can have a very trippy reaction to the meds and it freaks them out.  My son Evan did and it was like he was a stark raving lunatic in a fun house and every time I'd lean in to kiss him he'd scream in terror, but my other son Cameron was very happy go lucky cuddly bear.  Just keep it mellow. 

I will say that my guys did wake up pretty easily from their EDG and were more like themselves about four hours after that particular procedure.  But that has not always been  the case, each time we go under general anesthesia it is different for each kid. 

If you have not already had feeding tubes discussed by the docs yet, please don't hesitate to page me, TriciaJoy, or PreemieParent or any of the other very active members of this board.  Feeding tubes can be scary but if your baby is not eating by mouth at all then...  Well, anyway, you can read our story in my blog, see the link in my siggie.  Feel free to email me with questions at Taylo2Babies at gmail.com.

Good luck!

Laura

• Holy crap, I didn't even realize you are local!!!! 

I'm in Bowie, MD and we have our GI through U of MD.  We are also working with Mt. Washington Peds Hosptial in Baltimore.  Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"