Breastfeeding

xp: Anyone take this antibiotic and BF?

I have either a clogged duct or mastitis and I go to the ob tomorrow to tell for sure, but she gave me a prescription for Cephalexin (generic for Keflex) and I can't decide if I should breast feed while taking this. The nurse I talked to at the ob's office said it was fine, but I had a lot of problems with them giving me false/wrong answers while pregnant. So I have little trust. Online the AAP doesn't list this drug at all. I plan on calling the pediatrician in the morning and I also see my LC tomorrow but has anyone else taken this drug and continued to breast feed?

I may just give her my freezer stash tonight and still pump the milk and save it to see what they say. 

Re: xp: Anyone take this antibiotic and BF?

• I was prescribed this for a UTI I developed. The doc who prescribed it said it was fine for breastfeeding and when I picked it up the pharmacist looked it up and said it was listed as being "well documented as being fine for use while breastfeeding." I had no issues while I was using it.

Hope that helps!

• Loading the player...
  • Think about taking some acidophilis to prevent thrush since antibiotics can cause yeast issues.  Other than that you're fine.
  • imagebrainwashxx:

I have either a clogged duct or mastitis and I go to the ob tomorrow to tell for sure, but she gave me a prescription for Cephalexin (generic for Keflex) and I can't decide if I should breast feed while taking this. The nurse I talked to at the ob's office said it was fine, but I had a lot of problems with them giving me false/wrong answers while pregnant. So I have little trust. Online the AAP doesn't list this drug at all. I plan on calling the pediatrician in the morning and I also see my LC tomorrow but has anyone else taken this drug and continued to breast feed?

I may just give her my freezer stash tonight and still pump the milk and save it to see what they say. 

there are very few antibiotics that actually end up in the breast milk -i took one for a week due to a c-section infection and had to pump and dump.. but most of them are okay.  Since you're calling a LC tomorrow -they look up the antibiotic in a book and will tell you if you can or cant.  That's what they did with mine. 

if for some reason you cant, make sure you pump and dump so that you dont loose your supply.

good luck

• I was on it twice for kidney infections, and it was fine! GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"