Baby Names

Xavier?

We find out what we're having tomorrow ( hopefully the baby cooperates).  I love Xavier for a boy, but my husband has some reservations.  He's afraid that since we live in a very Hispanic (85% Hispanic) area that 1). the name will be pronounced Javier or Zavier or 2). people will look at our son and wonder why he isn't Hispanic. 

WDYT?  how do you pronounce Xavier?

The other two boy names we like are Holden and Zander.  Thoughts?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Xavier?

• I like Xavier a lot.  Best out of all your choices. 
    BFP#1 - 08/30/09 - m/c - 10/2/09 7w4d
    BFP #2 - 11/4/09 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    My Book Blog
  • I would pronounce it Javier. My second guess would be Zavier. (Of course, I speak Spanish.)

I don't like the Ex-zavier pronunciation. (Why do you pronouce the name of the first letter? We don't say "Kay-Kate" for Kate or "Bee-Ben" for Ben.)

Holden is nms. Zander is okay. I prefer it as a nn for Alexander.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebarnwife:
    . Zander is okay. I prefer it as a nn for Alexander.

that's actually one of the things keeping me from being sure about using Zander.  I like names that aren't overly popular and I'm afraid that since Alexander is in the top 10 that Zander is going to be growing in popularity.  I don't want to use a name that's going to be uber popular.  

• I actually like all three of those names.
  • I pronounce it like Zavier. I'm not really a fan.
  • I would pronounce it zave-yer. Do people actually say "ex-ave-yer"?? Granted, the letter x doesn't often start words, but it's not that foreign a concept--would anyone say "ex-eye-la-phone" instead of "zye-la-phone" (xylaphone)??

I'm not Hispanic, so I can't comment on the likeliehood of a Javier pronunciation... FWIW I like Holden too. Maybe you'll find out you're having a girl and this will be a moot point! (Assuming you can agree on a girl's name, of course (-=   )

The Fluffy Cat says... "Boxes are the best toys ever invented!"
  • i would pronounce it x-A-vee-er

i like it. i also like Zander. i'm not a huge holden fan, but it's not bad. 

• I only know one boy w/that name and it is pronounced Ex-zavier.  It's NMS.  I like Holden or Zander better, or like someone else said, Alexander.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • A friend has the middle name Xavier. He pronounces it x-A-vee-er. I like it better as a middle name.
  • Most commonly I heave heard it pronounced ex-AY-vee-er.  Less commonly ZAY-vee-er.

To confuse things even further, I knew a boy with this name and he pronounced it SAH-vee-ay. I believe his mother was French, though.

Personally, I kind of like it, no matter how it is pronounced.  I wouldn't name my child that, but I think it's an interesting name.

• Xavier is definitely the best of your choices.
  • They are all NMS. I pronounced Xavier like Zavier, but DH pronounced it ex-av-ier. 
  • this has actually been at the top of our boys list too!

?

I love it- I have always known it to be prounounced with the prominent 'X', as the ladies above have phonetically spelled out, but I am a fan of the Zay-vier pronounciation. ?(btw- not hispanic either so that has no bearing for me.,.. ?and I live in a very Hispanic neighborhood and city!)

?

?

?

?

• I've always said it like ek-Zavier. The beginning X is sort of a... gutteral stop or something

The only Xander I know is short for Alexander. 

imageimage

• I would pronounce it Zavier, but if you live in a very Hispanic area it'll probably get pronounced Javier quite often. I don't really see that as a big deal though-it's the same name just pronounced differently in the different languages. I wouldn't look at your son and wonder why he isn't hispanic either-it's a fine name in any language.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I really like Xavier, but i guess the pronounciation concerns are legitimate. Second choice is Zander, Holden is definately nms.
  • I would pronounce it zay-vi-er. And for some reason, I strongly dislike names that start with "z"...including Zander and Xavier.

I actually really like Holden though. I think it's strong, classic and very nice.

• I would pronounce Xavier with the X sound like "ks".  That being said, the name is NMS as it only calls to mind the Cabbage Patch dolls of our childhood.
    Photobucket
    My two angels

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"