South Florida Babies

car seat question...

How did you decide where to place your infant car seat? I have always read/heard that the center is the safest place, but our car (a Volvo), doesn't have the LATCH system in the middle, just on the two sides. We tried installing our car seat (the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 30/30) in the middle using the seatbelt and the base and no matter how hard we tried, we couldn't get it as tight as we wanted. We tried pulling the seat belt as tight as possible and we could still wiggle the car seat significantly. So today DH installed it using LATCH on the back passenger side and he says it seems much more secure that way.

What do you guys think?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: car seat question...

• We couldn't use his carseat in the middle of our Pilot because it would tip over using the seatbelt. I put it behind the passenger so that I could see him better
  • I have no middle in my minivan so I put him behind me this was easiest for me getting him and out of the car quickly
  • Loading the player...
  • I have mine in the middle right now and it's a PITA!  Jen, you look as petite as I am (5'1) and it kills me everytime I have to get the infant carseat out.  I have bruises on my knees and my back hurts.  Why I haven't moved it over to the passenger side???  Still don't know!

• imageFutureHernandez:

I have mine in the middle right now and it's a PITA!  Jen, you look as petite as I am (5'1) and it kills me everytime I have to get the infant carseat out.  I have bruises on my knees and my back hurts.  Why I haven't moved it over to the passenger side???  Still don't know!

This is def. a factor! I'm 5'3" and the car is a hybrid SUV so it wouldn't be easy for me to get the car seat in and out if it were in the middle, esp. since this particular car seat is pretty heavy. But I didn't want to just put her on the side out of my own convenience/comfort since I had always heard that the middle was considered safer. In our case, however, I am thinking it's better to stick to the side since the LATCH system seems so much more secure...

• I always read that the center was the safest and the next safest place was the passenger side so thats where we have Jake since the center won't work. We had the same car seat as you Jen!

• When you put the carseat in, get in it yourself, and then pull the latch as tight as you want it. I always hop in, knee first, and have Rob pull the latch, it helps to get it THAT much tighter. Since I have 2 in the backseat, I have Alex behind me and Max in the middle. We just moved Max over the weekend to forward facing in the middle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What Volvo do you have?  I have the S80 and it has the Latch in the center.  We moved the car seat to the back passenger side a couple months ago b/c she just got too heave to keep lugging her to the center anymore and it's fine.   Definitely do it whichever way feels most secure.  I would prefer to use the latch on the sides than the seatbelt in the center.
    image image

• I started off with Nicholas in the center, but ended up moving him to the passenger side because the carrier just got too heavy to lift that far into the car anymore.  He is still in the same spot now, only in a regular carseat. 
  • Mine is right behind my seat because we couldn't put it in the middle. I like it for now, once he's forward facing I'll put him on the other side if we still can't do the middle, that way we can see each other.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsLeanna:
    What Volvo do you have? 

It's the XC60, Leanna. I don't get why it doesn't have LATCH in the middle :(

Thanks ladies...I think I will leave it on the passenger side with the LATCH.

• that is the car seatwe have and we put it in the rear passenger side fro the exact same reason
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used to have the Volvo S40 and I had Nadia's infant seat in the center. Although it only had latch on the side seats- I was able to pull the straps on my seat far enough to get it done. And it didn't bother the side seatbelts either (hope I'm making sense) I had the Chicco Keyfit though- so maybe it's straps are longer?
  • I've always read that the middle was the safest place for the carseat, but if it's more secure in the side because of the LATCH system, then I would be more comfortable putting it on the side since it's a tighter fit and doesn't wiggle.
  • I was told that the LATCH isn't that great, that traditional seatbelts are much better (the fire dept installed my car seat and told me that) - he put it in the middle seat with the regular shoulder belt.

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"