North Carolina Babies

Nursing and Vitamin D supplements?

Did you give your LO vitamin D supplements while you were nursing? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Nursing and Vitamin D supplements?

• No. Our pediatrician never recommended it (though I never went out of my way to ask about it either).
  • I used Poly-vi-sol after the 2 month mark up until we went to formula full-time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, we've tried.  The pedi recommended the TriVisol or PolyVisol and DS hates it.  Every time I'd give it to him he would projectile it across the room within 5 minutes.  So I gave up, I tried hiding it in food, in breast milk, straight up - nothing worked.  The pedi said just make sure he spends time outside in the sun most days since he can't seem to handle the vitamins. 
  • I was recommended by my Pediatrician to use the Tri-Vi-Sol (I think it only has vitamins A, C and D). I got the stuff but have yet to use it. The one time at the beginning- I gave her a dropperful and it was too sweet for her that she spit half of it out. Last night, I decided to try giving it to her again- but this time I mixed it with breastmilk in a bottle- she sucked it down like nothing! So that could be one way of giving it to them- mix it into their food...

• Our pedi recommended it. I always put it in a bottle of expressed milk... it was just easier to give it to DD1 that way.
  • imageECUGirl2004:
    No. Our pediatrician never recommended it (though I never went out of my way to ask about it either).

This.  I knew it would be a fight to give them to Ben also, so we just skipped it.  I ate really well balanced diet, so I didn't worry too much of it.

• Yes, our pedi recommends it. I give Nolan Tri-Vi-Sol right after his first morning nursing session.
    Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We do.  I put 7 drops in each of his 4 bottles (equaling the total dosage for the day) and he doesn't even notice.  Take this with a grain of salt because I cannot site any specific research on this, but DH learned in one of his classes that some study was done and Vitamin D was shown to help avoid the flu.  I have given it to him religiously since hearing that and he seems to be avoiding a lot more illnesses as well since lots of babies in daycare have been sick and he hasn't had more than a runny nose.  Again, take it as you will.
    My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAngelPack:
    We do.  I put 7 drops in each of his 4 bottles (equaling the total dosage for the day) and he doesn't even notice.  Take this with a grain of salt because I cannot site any specific research on this, but DH learned in one of his classes that some study was done and Vitamin D was shown to help avoid the flu.  I have given it to him religiously since hearing that and he seems to be avoiding a lot more illnesses as well since lots of babies in daycare have been sick and he hasn't had more than a runny nose.  Again, take it as you will.

Hmm... I may try spacing it out, I actually hadn't tried that yet! 

• Yes, but we didn't start until around 6 mo old.  At first we gave it to her by mouth and then later mixed it in her cereal.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was a horrible mother and did not. I got asked today at her 12 month appointment and when I said I didn't, she told me I should.

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

• Yes, we did!  It was recommended by my pedi & PNP.  At first, we used "Just D" by Sunlight Vitamins.  It honestly doesn't have much of a taste.  It's just oily. 

At 6 months, we were told he needed iron.  So, we switched to Polyvisol with iron.  That stuff tastes nasty!!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"