North Carolina Babies

When did someone else put DC to bed?

DH and I had this talk at lunch.  In six months, no one but me has put DS to bed and it turns out that my husband is jealous of this.  He also thinks that if he does it some, it will be easier for me to let a sitter put him down.  The discussion started because DS has all of the sudden wanted to nurse himself to sleep and DH thinks it simply because I'm there and it's easy for him (he nurses at 6 and then eats dinner and goes to bed around 7:15 so I don't think he's hungry).  I know eventually I need to let other people put him to bed, but it's our thing, and some days it's the only snuggle time I get.  So when did you let other people put your LO down and how did it go? 

Re: When did someone else put DC to bed?

• While DS was still nursing, I put him to bed 99.9% of the time.  I still put him down 6 out of 7 nights, actually.  I can't remember the first time we got my parents to babysit and put DS to bed...  I think it was when he was around 7 months old or so, but it went fine.  Surprisingly every time I left a bottle for DH or for my mom and went out, they never had any problem.  He took a bottle fine and went to bed fine.  It was always so easy for them that it made me wonder if they were lying about it.  ;) 

• We've had 2 babysitters have put him to sleep and DH puts him to bed half of the time.  I used to be solely in charge of night time b/c I would nurse to sleep but since we did CIO a couple of months ago.  He no longer falls asleep at the breast and DH and I alternate. 
  • Loading the player...
  • When DS was a baby (about 2 months old) I had my mom put him to bed a couple of nights because I was past exhausted and needed more than a couple of hours of rest!  DS turned 9 months old and DH, my mom and MIL took turns putting him to bed for 10 days.  I was OOT and had no other option.  Otherwise, I would still be the only one to put him to bed.  I still BF and cherish that time with him!  Thankfully, DH hasn't objected!  That's a tough situation since your DH wants to also partake in that time.  Maybe you could let your DH take over bath time or read a story before you put DS to bed.  Good luck! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagewithoutshoes:
    That's a tough situation since your DH wants to also partake in that time.  Maybe you could let your DH take over bath time or read a story before you put DS to bed.  Good luck! 

I love our bedtime snuggles and I'm thankful that DH wants to be part of all that too, he does bathtime already and at the rate they splash water I'll be needing new floors soon!  They have a great time together and I know DH just wants a little more of that. 

• Well, I didn't nurse, so it is probably different for me. I guess early on there was no real "putting to bed" but once we had a routine, DH put her down. Now he pretty much does it every night. Because he doesn't see her during the day, the night time is their time, so he will take her up and read her a book and put her down. My sister also has put her down for the night.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • While nursing, I put DD to bed 100% of the time.  DH has put her down since then numerous times without any problems if I'm not home -- if I'm home, she knows it and throws a fit if I'm not the one to rock and put her to bed.  It's going to be interesting when DD#2 arrives!

This past weekend we tried for the first time having someone else put her to bed.  My parents were in town and watched her while DH and I went to get dinner together.  We were going to go to a movie but nothing of interest was playing so the night was cut short.  Things might have worked themselves out if we'd stayed out later but when we got home, she was still up and they were having a hard time getting her to settle down without us doing her bedtime routine.  If we had family closer by, I'd have loved to get her more used to this at an earlier stage.  I feel that she probably will do better if our nanny were to put her to bed vs my family since she's used to the nanny and rarely sees our parents.  This theory may get tested depending on how my c-section goes on Thursday.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedbertagni:
    Well, I didn't nurse, so it is probably different for me. I guess early on there was no real "putting to bed" but once we had a routine, DH put her down. Now he pretty much does it every night. Because he doesn't see her during the day, the night time is their time, so he will take her up and read her a book and put her down. My sister also has put her down for the night.

This is pretty much us. Even though I nurse, DH puts Caleb to bed more often than not. I will usually nurse in the living room. I have never nursed him to sleep. 

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • My in-laws keep him often and I think the first time they actually put him to bed Will was about 4.5/5 months old.  Which is when DH probably put him to bed for the first time as well since this is about the time I stopped exclusively bfing.  I still do it for the most part but DH will once or twice a week or if I am out for the evening......
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I both have been putting her down since we got on any kind of bedtime schedule, probably a few weeks after she was born. When I was nursing,, I had to supplement with formula at each feeding, starting when she was like 4 days old, and DH would always do the bottle part.

Now we alternate--one of us will give her a bath, and the other will give her her bottle and put her down, and we'll switch the next night. My mom and my IL's have put her down a couple of times. They haven't kept her overnight, but have kept her when we didn't get home until after she went to bed. 

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• I nurse her and then hand her off to DH who puts her to bed.  We started this way in her first 6 months because back then I pumped while DH gave her a bottle and put her to bed, so it's always been their time together....he does it about 97% of the time!  (I get nap time though. ;))  As far as anyone besides us, this summer my parents tried putting her down while we were in Seattle, and that did not go well...at all.  It was our first date night ever without her, and she did fine until bedtime, but bedtime was a bit miserable.  Obviously we need to work on that, but the opportunity doesn't arise very often!  Good luck!!!
    Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • We do bedtime routine together -- we bathe him together, then dress him for bed.  I don't nurse, but I typically give the last bottle & rock him to sleep.  Nate usually sits at my feet & we talk.  It's a very sweet family time that let's us talk about our days when it's still & quiet in the house.

Once H is asleep, I typically swaddle him while Nate gets the sound machine going & makes sure the bottles are set for the night wakings.  Which helps me a ton.

But he's put him down alone a few times & vice versa, depending on how our days went.  My mom's put him down.  I don't know how he'd do with anyone else doing it, though -- the three of us are really the only people he "knows" at this point. 

I've never nursed, so it's never been an issue of doing something ony I can do.  But maybe just having your husband in there with you when your nursing will help? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"