Preemies
Options

When will they wake up?? 31 wk preemies

I delivered my twins (b/g) at 31 weeks. We brought them home about a week ago after 6 weeks in the NICU. They are now 37 weeks. When will they start being awake more? It seems like eating puts them to sleep so they might be awake 5-10 minutes before and after bottles. They do wake up every 3 hours on their own to eat. Any ideas?

Re: When will they wake up?? 31 wk preemies

• Options

It's very normal for them to sleep a ton at this age. Remember they're supposed to still be floating about, and even full term newborns sleep a lot in the beginning. By the time they're a month adjusted, you'll probably be begging them to sleep more.

The fact that they wake to eat is great- even a lot of termies don't do that!

• Options
    Very normal for lots of sleep...my little man still sleeps a lot (he is 5 months actual, 3 adjusted)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Count your blessings... in a few months they will be awake all the time.  This is pretty normal, don't worry.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options
    imageTriciaJoy:

It's very normal for them to sleep a ton at this age. Remember they're supposed to still be floating about, and even full term newborns sleep a lot in the beginning. By the time they're a month adjusted, you'll probably be begging them to sleep more.

The fact that they wake to eat is great- even a lot of termies don't do that!

Ditto!! Even 3 weeks after his due date, Andrew would sometimes sleep 4-5 hours or so during the day (and at night) and I often wondered if he was ever going to wake up and eat!

• Options
    ditto pp. My brother, who hadn't seen Kevin since August, was so surprised yesterday at how long he stays awake now. Just enjoy it and try and get some rest :)
  • Options
    Really normal! My 31w6d preemie started seeming more awake around her actual due date. Now it seems like every day she is more and more alert (and demanding!)
  • Options
    Just this morning, LO was up for an hour and I was impressed.  She'll be up for 10 - 20 minutes at a time but sleeps a lot still.  Our NICU doctors were never worried about it, they always said that they do their best growing when they are asleep. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"