North Carolina Babies

When to increase solids?

I have no idea when to start giving him more than 1 meal a day.  He is only eating about 1-2 tablespoons of solids 1 time a day.  Should I be giving him more than that?  Daycare is more than willing to feed him during the day.  I am sure he would eat it if it were offered, but how do I know the right time? 
My sweet boy :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to increase solids?

• We must have a piggy on our hands...our LO eats one container of solids during her nightly meal. Now you have me worried that she's getting too much. our pedi never gave us an idea as to how much, just that she needed to start eating it...
  • imagetgallo:
    We must have a piggy on our hands...our LO eats one container of solids during her nightly meal. Now you have me worried that she's getting too much. our pedi never gave us an idea as to how much, just that she needed to start eating it...

Ben still BFs every 2 hours just about so he is getting a lot of milk to make up for it.  He loves solids, but I don't know, I just stop when he isn't interested anymore and sometimes he barely eats at all. 

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We started 2 meals a day at 6 months, then 3 meals at 7.5 months. The pedi said by 9 months they should be eating 3 meals a day.

When we did 1 meal a day, he would eat 1 jar of baby food. 2 meals/day he ate 1.5 jars plus puffs/yogurt melts. Now he eats about 2 jars a day plus table food. 

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • well, we are new at this too.
    first off, i would follow his lead.
    we were doing two "meals" a day-morning and evening.
    just recently we went to 3 "meals" a day. our DC teacher suggested it.
    DS eats the equiv of two (#2) jars a day in 3 sittings. (i mix-in cereal depending)
    but he also cries when it's gone. almost every time. we follow the food with a 2-3 oz bottle of formula or juice.

overall he eats ~every 3 hours-whether food or bottle.
    and he's a big boy. over 20#
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't start solids until 6 months, so at Ben's age Eli was obviously just getting one meal a day.  I'd say after about a month to 6 weeks later we added a second meal.  By 9 months our pedi wanted him on 3 solid meals a day.  But the size of his meals great varied, sometimes only half a jar and sometimes the whole thing.  And we did milk first, then solids. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We started eating 2 meals a day just over two weeks ago (any changes I make, I try to start on Saturday morning so I've got two good days of it in before he goes back to daycare).  Now he gets 1 tsp of oatmeal with BM and fruit mixed in for breakfast (DS hates plain cereals).  And 2 tsp of rice with BM and veggies at dinner.  Sometimes he'll want more and I'll let him just eat the plain fruit or veggies.  DS nurses or gets a bottle every three hours and I give him about 30 minutes between nursing him and starting to eat.  He's had a streak of independence here this last week so I've also been letting him "feed himself" some mashed up avocado, it's a total mess, but he likes it. 
  • we started at 4 months and basically did 2 meals right away.  lunch and dinner.  she would only eat about 1/3 to 1/2 the container per sitting.  i would definately up his eating to 2 times a day.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I still sometimes only do 2 meals. Jocelyn will eat just about anything, but she doesn't finish a food container of stage 2 every night. Usually I give a morning and a dinner stage 2 container and then finger foods after that and lunch is usually like cheese and crackers or cheese toast or something like that. We didn't start doing 2 meals until after 7 1/2 months and just now raised up to 3. When she is done she is done, so I don't force it either. If Ben seems like he will eat more, the only way to know is to try it, keep offering it and see what happens.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If I remember correctly we first started with cereal at dinner and then started oatmeal for breakfast around 7 months.  We still don't do lunch 100% of the time..... I didn't start even trying a lunch until probably 9 months or so.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemrsmikey:
    I didn't start solids until 6 months, so at Ben's age Eli was obviously just getting one meal a day.  I'd say after about a month to 6 weeks later we added a second meal.  By 9 months our pedi wanted him on 3 solid meals a day.  But the size of his meals great varied, sometimes only half a jar and sometimes the whole thing.  And we did milk first, then solids. 

yup, what she said

Katie, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Zach, Duke Gardens, 6months

ry%3D400

Photo courtesy from the amazing Ever You Photography!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"