North Carolina Babies

? about 1 day a week childcare - TV

DS will be going to a CW/friend's house 1 day a week while I work. She has 2 yr & 9 yr old daughters. I'm working on writing up a note/list of things she needs to know. One thing I'm concerned about is the amount of TV they watch in her home. I don't care if Caleb watches *some* TV. I understand her DDs watch it too. But they leave it on all day for background noise and I really don't like him being around it that much. How do you think I should address it? Should I put on his list "watch no more than 30 min a day" or actually talk to her about it? I don't want to make it awkward.

The other thing I'm worried about it WHAT they watch. Some of the cartoons her kids watch are things that I don't want Caleb to ever watch. Is he too little to worry about that yet?

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001

Re: ? about 1 day a week childcare - TV

• I think I would talk to her about it, and maybe include it on your list just as a reminder.  Maybe when you're talking to her about his normal schedule, just say something like "We only want him to watch 30 minutes of TV a day, and we'd like it to only be shows...x, y, z".  Don't make a big deal about it unless you learn that your wishes are not being followed.
  • What's your arrangement with the coworker--are you paying her (or compensating her by doing childcare for her)? If you're paying her, I think it's reasonable to express your preference that he not watch TV the entire day. If you know that her kids watch a fair amount of TV, then I'd probably actually discuss it with her and not just put it on a list with other things. If she's watching him as a favor and isn't being compensated, then I don't think you have as much leverage to ask her not to let him watch TV all day. JMO.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageduke_girl:
    What's your arrangement with the coworker--are you paying her (or compensating her by doing childcare for her)? If you're paying her, I think it's reasonable to express your preference that he not watch TV the entire day. If you know that her kids watch a fair amount of TV, then I'd probably actually discuss it with her and not just put it on a list with other things. If she's watching him as a favor and isn't being compensated, then I don't think you have as much leverage to ask her not to let him watch TV all day. JMO.

We are paying her to watch him. I guess I'll have to talk to her. She is very reasonable, I'm probably worrying about it too much. 

Thanks!

image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • I would just talk to her about it.  I'm sure she'll understand.  We just hired a babysitter with two older kids and I expressed my feelings on limiting TV--she does movie night on Friday---and we agreed she would  get a short 30-45 minute video instead of watching a movie.  She was also willing to forgo movies completely for that specific Friday, but I felt bad telling her she could not do her Friday fun night with her kids....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"