Two Under 2

If you're an intentional member of the 2 under 2 club...

Meaning you were TTC or at least not preventing when you got pg with #2, share your reasons for deciding it was time to get pg again?  We're trying to decide, and everyone I know has their kids spaced much further apart so they think we're a bit crazy.  I'm curious what you guys thought....

And FYI, my DD is just over a year old, so the closest in age our kiddos could be is 22 months (not pg yet, at least I don't think!).

Re: If you're an intentional member of the 2 under 2 club...

• My brother was born on my 2nd birthday and I liked growing up having a sibling close in age.  I'm already in my 30s and didn't want to wait to long to have another child, especially if we end up having 3.  So we wanted ours to be 18 to 24 mo apart.  They will be 18 mo apart.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Mine will be 16 months apart and it was intentional. Well, I guess we weren't trying, but weren't preventing. We knew we wanted our children no more than 18 months-2 years apart, so we just got pg a little earlier than expected. Smile

We want to have 3-4 children and we want them all to be close in age so they grow up together. DH and I are both only children so we feel like we missed out on that. Some people think we are a bit crazy too. We just ignore them. Everyone has to decide whats right for THEIR family.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My sister and I are 15 months apart and have always been great friends, so I knew I wanted mine close.  Plus I am in my 30's.  I would love to have another right away again, but can afford DC for 3 and I know my older sister or MIL wouldn't watch 3 at a time either.
  • I'm 33 & DH is 38.  I have high risk issues & always will and don't want the additonal risk factors associated with age. 

We wanted 2 kids close together from the beginning anyway.  Having the 2 of them close together will work with me being a SAHM.  Once I go back to school/work I won't have to worry about maternity leave etc.  Plus we wont have to pay an infant rate at daycares.

• Yeah, same as above, I'm not getting any younger and we wanted 3-4 kids.  We weren't anticipating the third so soon, but oh well, that's life right.  Anyway, age along with just having them be close in age and getting through the baby/daycare/ diapers stage all at once all contributed to our decision.
  • I actually was hoping they would be spaced a little further and was charting to avoid.  But my cycles were all over the place, so we knew it was very possible we could get pg and were okay with it

I will be 37 next month and DH just turned 40.  That is the only reason, and we aren't necessarily done yet.  We might want one or two more in a year or so. 

I am the youngest of 7 and my mom had me when she was 40.  We are super close, so I am not worried about being "an older mom"

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • our reasons are very much like the above posters (aside from the age issue).  My husband and I grew up with siblings 13 months older than us and we want that for our kids.  We're also all about getting over the diaper phase!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i wanted my kids close in age. i know the first few years will be rough, but i think it will be much better in the long run when they are the same age, and enjoy the same things. DH and i are both 15 months older than our next sibs so we are used to it!
  • We want more than 2 kids and I'd like to be done by the time I'm 36, so we have to space them close together.  Next one will be even closer than these two (at 24 mos) if we are lucky enough to have all go as planned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Like many of the pp we wanted at least a second child and because I'm really(!) late 30's (I'll be 40 one month after our second is born) and DH is in his mid-40s we don't have time on our side.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC #1 Cycle #18 m/c Jan. 9, 2007, chemical pg May 4, 2007, methotrexate shot Oct. 5, 2007--m/c Oct. 9, 2007, IUI Nov. 17, 2007 It worked! beta 11/30 & 12/6 TTC #2 Cycle #5 IUI July 20, 2009 -BFN 8-3-09 Cycle #6 IUI August 17, 2009-BFP! 8-31-09, beta 9-1-09, 9-8-09, saw the H/B 9-22-09 EDD 5-10-10
  • We were expecting twins... a boy and a girl. We lost our daughter when I was 21.5 weeks pregnant and were devastated. We knew then that we wanted to have another child as soon as possible. Pair that with the fact that I was born 3 days before my older brother's 1st birthday (and I loved having a sibling so close in age to grow up with) and it was just right for us!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • We were just ready when DS was around 12 mos old, so we started TTC when he was 13 mos old and I got PG.  He was at a great age, we were really enjoying him and we wanted another.  We figured that if we waited we might wait too long and not want to go back to the baby stage.  For us, we were right.  We're thinking about #3 now and #2 is already 2.5, PTd, etc.  It's hard to go back to diapers, BFing, etc. now. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • We had fertility treatment for DS1, and went back for more treatment soon after he was born. Our children are 19 months apart. We want a large family and will "pull the goalie" ASAP to see if it can ever happen for us without medication.
  • ours are 17.5 months apart...I had a really tough time with the newborn stage and I knew that if we got too far out of bottles and midnight feedings that I wouldn't have another...For us we also wanted them close so that they would be interesting in common things at the same time and so we weren't restricted in the activities and places we could go...if that makes any sense...We wanted them to have a sibling close in age and a playmate...It is hard but we are so glad that we did it this way...Our girls are our whole world...
  • The main reason we have 2u2 is because of my age.  We married in our 30s and I don't want to have kids after I turn 40.  1st child was born when I was 35, 2nd was just born last month and I was/am 36.  We have to plan TTC around deployments also.  We have a chance to have a 3rd and if we decide to do that, it will be the last.  So basically, our 2u2 is due to my age.
    imageimage
  • Our boys are currently 11 months old and 29 months old.  We wanted our kids close together for a couple of reasons.

First: my age.  I'm now 40 so I am glad to have both my kids (no longer 2u2 but they were) healthy and with us; time was a factor.  We started trying at about the 4 month mark - it took 5 or so cycles to get pregnant with #2 (I was breastfeeding for a portion of that time).

Second: diapers etc.  I decided I'd rather just deal with all the diapers, sleeping issues, teething issues, highchairs and so on in one fell swoop.  Kind of like ripping off a bandaid.  Get it over with!

Third: buddies.  We are hoping that the kids will be close enough in age that they will be true friends.  My husband had two much older sisters (7 and 8 years older) and my sister was 3 years older - we weren't really friends growing up.  Our boys are 18 months apart.  Hopefully they will have lots in common for a long time

It is both not as hard and harder than I imagined.  But I am delighted to have my two boys close together. 

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Our first two are 16 months apart and we purposely wanted kids close together. In fact, we are already planning on conceiving number 3 at the beginning of the Summer.

Everyone told us we were crazy for having kids so close together (especially since our first was a preemie), but one person in particular who told me this has kids that are 24, 10, 8, 4 and 1. I think THAT is insane so people should keep their opinions to themselves.

I am one of four and we are 28, 27, 25 and 25 (last two were twins) and we LOVED being so close in age and my parents loved us being close.

Jacob 3.23.08 * Grace 7.22.09 * Eli 7.26.11 * Annabelle 1.18.14

• It took us 19 months and fertility treatment to get pg with our DS, and I have a family history of early menopause (my sister had to do IVF for her #2 because of it), so we knew we wanted to start trying again right away before we had to contend with yet another diagnosis.  I stopped BFing so we could go back to our RE.  I made an appointment for late October, thinking we would restart testing, then start cycling again late this year, or early next year.  However, my AF never came, and we got a BFP all on our own.  Also, my sister is only 11 1/2 months older than I am, so I grew up with a sibling very close in age and we are great friends.  Our DCs will be 15 1/2 months apart.
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just wanted to and are at a place where it can be done. Honestly, I'd say go with your gut instinct. There are pros and cons to having kids closer in age or farther apart. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"