Breastfeeding
Options

Introducing formula at 9+ months

DS has been exclusively breastfed for almost 9 months now, but I think I'll be sending formula for some or all of his 3 bottles at the sitter starting in the next month.  (Pumping is taking it's toll on my time at work, I've had to dip into my small freezer stash over the last month, and DH is moving out of state for a job for the next 6 months, so I'll have more to do on my own.)  I'm okay with giving formula, but I realize I have no clue where to start. Are there brands that breastfed babies prefer, in terms of taste?  Do I use the standard infant formula or the 9-24 month one?  Do I introduce it mixed with BM, or on it's own?  Thanks for any advice.  I'll be talking to the pedi next week at our 9 month visit, but thought I'd learn from your experience as well.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Introducing formula at 9+ months

• Options

I had a DD that would not take BM from a bottle so we had to do formula at 7 months, and then I just made all her food with EBM.  I tasted all the formulas I could and the one that tasted most like BM was Similac Organic.  All the kids eat mostly orgnaic and drink/eat only organic dairy, so it was important to me that the formula be organic.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagegrapeape73:

I had a DD that would not take BM from a bottle so we had to do formula at 7 months, and then I just made all her food with EBM.  I tasted all the formulas I could and the one that tasted most like BM was Similac Organic.  All the kids eat mostly orgnaic and drink/eat only organic dairy, so it was important to me that the formula be organic.

how did you manage to taste all the formulas? did you buy one of each? samples? im really curious...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I introduced formula at 9 months due to low supply and I had no more freezer stash.  I think I mixed BM and formula together first.  I just used what I had free samples of:  I think I had two cans of Enfamil and one can of organic Simulac.   DS only took a bottle at daycare, so I BF him at home.  That worked out too.  GL!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD is just about 9 months and my freezer stash just ran out.  I nurse her 100% of the time but when we need a sitter or I'm away from DD (I'm a SAHM so not too often) she needs a bottle.  She had her first formula this weekend.  We bought the Enfamil single packets because I wasn't sure we'd go through a full can before it expired.  She took it just fine.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    image*pistol*packin*mama*:
    imagegrapeape73:

how did you manage to taste all the formulas? did you buy one of each? samples? im really curious...

I had some samples that I either requested or were mailed to me.  If I didn't have it at home I would buy the smallest size they sold and try it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  DS is not a picky eater- he eats just about everything I introduce to him (except he's not a fan of storebought purees, but I wouldn't eat them either), so I figure formula's just another new food.  I gave away all my formula samples to a food pantry, since I didn't know if I'd ever use them and didn't want them to expire, so a taste test is not an option. I'm leading towards an organic though- most of DS's food is organic as is all our family's dairy products. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"