Ohio Babies

Does your insurance cover fertility treatments?

edited July 2021 in Ohio Babies
Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}

Hello all,

I live in Maryland, but my husband is interviewing for some jobs in the Columbus area.  I'm a little concerned about moving because we were planning to start fertility treatments within the next few months.

Maryland state law requires insurers to pay for a portion of fertility treatments - so 50% of all our treatments would be covered under our current plan.  I see that Ohio also has a law about insurance and fertility treatments, but it's very vague.  It says something about "medically necessary treatments" being covered.  I'd imagine that most insurers would argue that fertility treatments aren't "medically necessary".

So I'm wondering how this law translates to real-life employer-provided insurance in Ohio.  Would you mind telling me about your insurance and if it pays for a portion of these treatments?

Thanks!

Re: Does your insurance cover fertility treatments?

• I am sure every insurance plan is different, even in Ohio.  When we went through TTC, I was diagnosed as anovulation.  Basically, I was not ovulating. So when we went through using Clomid, the Rx was covered at a percentage.  I "had to have" an HSG test and because I had never been diagnosed as infertile, it was covered (though if any visit had ever been marked as that, I would have had to pay out of pocket). However, IUI's were not covered and cost $212 each time. Thankfully, we only had to do 2 of them.  I looked into future options (fertility drugs, shots, IVF) and they were not covered by insurance.  In general fertility treatment is not considered to be medically necessary. However, ovulation and general working order of your organs are. Hope that helps!
  • You'd have to check with his companies benefit plan.  My benefit's covered $25k for treatment lifetime and $10k for fertility medication lifetime. We did have to spend that $$ how insurance saw fit however since we are unexplained. So HSG first, three rounds of clomid (cheap), laproscopy for cyst, 3 MORE rounds of clomid, 3 IUI with injectables (injectables EXPENSIVE), and finally 1 coverer IVF.  That maxed out out coverage, but lucky for us worked.  Dr. didn't want to do the IUI's at all but insurance wouldn't cover IVF untill 3 were attempted since there was not a medical reason for treatment not working.
    IVF#1 - 2 Blast Transfered = BFP!!! Identical Triplets&Fraternal = QUADS!! imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"