D.C. Area Babies
Options

traveling w/out LO at 9 months?

I'm thinking about going on a trip out to CA in June to see my best friend. I had originally planned to go in September, when DS will be weaned, but now it might be earlier. Has anyone traveled without their LO at that age? Especially if you were BFing? I would have to bring my pump, obviously, but I'm not sure what else to consider (other than child care).
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2: BFP 12/17/11, m/c 1/7/12 and D&C 1/12/12

baby blog/cooking blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: traveling w/out LO at 9 months?

• Options

DH and I traveled w/out DD when she was 11mo old. I was still BFing at that time. Before I left I weaned from pumping during the day so I only pumped every 12 hrs while away. The 1st 2 days it didn't work out that way though, I pumped when I had to, esp. since there was a 3-hr time difference, my body was messed up. but after 2 days, I was doing it only morning and night.

Be sure you have enough frozen BM to last DS while you are gone, and then add another 50oz or so b/c you never know - he may want more when you are gone.

I had to pump-n-dump which was very hard, it's hard to dump liquid gold! I did save my last pumped milk. I also pumped on the plane, sat next to a window w/ a blanket over me, the noise of the plane is so loud, no one even noticed (plus, DH was next to me). Make sure you bring extra batteries in case of flight delays.

• Options

sadly, I have travelled quite a few times. I just pump, and i take a cooler to put all of the milk in. I have pumped in airplane bathrooms, and worked my scheduled while gone to have time to pump.  i do store up quite a bit before I travel though for LO.

the first time i travelled i forgot the breast portion of my best pump. and couldn't get to a place that sold them for 12 hours... sucked

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Build up a freezer stash for while you're away, that way if you end up having to pump and dump (like if you're stuck without a way to store your milk), you're totally covered.  If you're staying with friend, that's easy.  It's the pumping while at the airport/on the airplane that may be a little more difficult, but not impossible. 
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    I too traveled by myself over a long weekend recently.  DS was almost 6 months.  Pumping and flying was certainly a challenge, but totally doable, as pp's have said.  I was surprised that my supply seemed to ramp up within hours of saying goodbye to baby.  Like my body thought that if it produced more milk, baby would show up and nurse.  I was pretty engorged for the first 2 days.  I pumped when I could - no schedule, and yeah, my bod was confused with the time change.  My boobs did settle down by the third (and last day).  But I was able to resume nursing just fine and was glad I made the trip.  Good luck!  Ps - I ditched my purse, and carried my wallet and other stuff in my pump - just to cut down on schlepping extra stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"