Secondary IF

Metformin girls...

If Met is working for you (weight loss wise, and hopefully TTC wise as well), are you going to ask your Dr about going back on it after pregnancy?

We're not going to be trying again, so I don't have an IF reason behind taking it, but it really did help me in losing weight, and given that I had GD with DD's pgcy, I would like to avoid getting type 2 diabetes in the future, and know that part of that is going to be getting to a healthy weight.

I don't really know how to even go about broaching this subject with my dr though. I don't want to seem like I'm using Met as a diet pill or anything (though, really, who would willingly take the stuff?!), but I truly feel it helped level out my hormones enough to allow my body to burn fat and lose weight.

Re: Metformin girls...

• My primary care doc put me back on the Met after I had my son. We didn't talk about the TTC reasoning behind it -- I have PCOS and my bloodwork, etc., were enough of a reason for him to put me back on. And one of my best friends (who's not planning on any more kids) went back on the Met after having her babies, and she's been on for 5 years.

So I'm guessing they will be fine with putting you back on the Met. Good luck!

• I never could leave the house (literally) while taking met. I have talked to my OB, however and will discuss an alternative med. when I go in for my 5 week pp check. I think it is a good idea to try to keep PCOS under control even if you are not TTC.

Tonya- Are you done with babies?

• Loading the player...
  • I have never gone off of met - I've been on it since March of 07. It helps me be able to eat things without being sick. I used to get REALLY REALLY upset stomach when eating salads even. This issue is resolved because of Met.

It also requires me to eat more healthy which is never bad.

I will stay on it indefinitely.
  • imagefirsttogo:

I never could leave the house (literally) while taking met. I have talked to my OB, however and will discuss an alternative med. when I go in for my 5 week pp check. I think it is a good idea to try to keep PCOS under control even if you are not TTC.

Tonya- Are you done with babies?

Yep, we're done. Partly b/c we just really aren't up for the whole IF/miscarriage thing- we don't even want to risk it again. But the main reason is we had a long talk and decided two is just right- the world is made for a family of four, and we feel we'll be able to give them a lot more opportunities than if we had more children.

• Honestly, it IS a sort of diet pill for those of us with high insulin levels. Insulin keeps weight on you. Regulating that helps your body to release the weight. It's a scientific fact. Use that... your doc should give it to you... if you're insulin resistant/PCOS. It's a way to stave-off diabetes. GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"