North Carolina Babies
Options

BF Moms - Advice needed!

The past few days have been very painful for me.  DD has started sucking on only the tip of my nipple.  I'll pull her off, then as she opens wide, stick the whole thing in again, and she'll pull back (with pretty strong force, I must say) against my hand/arm so she will only suck again on the tip.  I have done this 'correction' hundreds of times, but seriously, she'll only go back to the tip.  OUCH!  I am SO sore!  We never had a latching problem until now.  Does this have to do w/ teething?  She still has no teeth.  I'm wondering if for some reason her teeth are bothering her and it's more comfortable for her to suck this new way - - but I am starting to dread feedings!  She's not acting irritable or otherwise acting like she's teething.

I tried to search Google and Kellymom but couldn't find any advice.  If this doesn't improve I may need to make an appointment w/ my pedi's LC, but I figured I'd see if any of you had this issue.

Hope y'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!

Re: BF Moms - Advice needed!

• Options
    i dont have any advice but Jack did this all the time when i was nursing him the 3-4 weeks i nursed him. i hope its her teeth or a phase that she moves past very quick
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageakspriss:
    i dont have any advice but Jack did this all the time when i was nursing him the 3-4 weeks i nursed him. i hope its her teeth or a phase that she moves past very quick

I actually used those gel pads you gave me last night - which made them feel a little bit better in the AM, but then she wrecked me again today on her feedings.  Dangit!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ouch that sounds painful! :(  I would think it could be teething.  Liam always started biting me when he was teething, and a week or 2 later he'd get the tooth and stop biting, so teething can definitely cause them to nurse funny if their gums are sore.
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Could be teething.  We went through this about 3 weeks ago and it lasted about a week/week and a half.  I was so thankful when he stopped, it has not been that painful since that first month!  Now we have a tooth...  In retrospect it very well could be teething.  Good luck.
    My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

could you maybe try a nipple shield?

good luck!  I hope this"phase" passes soon!

• Options
    That sounds painful! I would think this has to do with teething, Caleb had a tough time nursing when he cut 2 teeth at once. I don't have any advice, but GL and I hope its just a phase!
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"