Stay at Home Moms

Anyone have/had a guinea pig?

We're tossing around the idea of getting a guinea pig for our boys. I've heard from people who love them like crazy and from people that say to stay away from them. Just wanted to get a little more feedback and info. Thanks!

Re: Anyone have/had a guinea pig?

• They're not very friendly, IMHO. They don't generally like people, and they're often nippy. I've never been crazy about hamsters or gerbils, either. I had all of them growing up, and they all had the same issues.

Of all the rodent pets I had (and there were lots - my mom had this pet thing), rats were the best. I know they skeeve people out, but they really make outstanding pets. Very clean, friendly, super intelligent, and even trainable.

• I've owned guinea pigs on and off for years. They make great pets if you get them YOUNG and clean their cage out once a week. If you decide to get more than one I HIGHLY suggest you keep them seperate and not in the same cage. Once they have a playmate of the same species they won't want a thing to do with you. Otherwise, they're extreamly loving and playful as they are very social animals. They make the CUTEST sounds and love to be hand fed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemrstarawalsh:
    I've owned guinea pigs on and off for years. They make great pets if you get them YOUNG and clean their cage out once a week. If you decide to get more than one I HIGHLY suggest you keep them seperate and not in the same cage. Once they have a playmate of the same species they won't want a thing to do with you. Otherwise, they're extreamly loving and playful as they are very social animals. They make the CUTEST sounds and love to be hand fed.

Ditto this.  I actually adopted mine from PETCO.  It even came with the cage!!!  Pretty sweet.  And this little girl was sooooo sweet and loving.  She even came to work with me sometimes.  But--like any animal they do die.  You need to be sure to feed them plenty of foods high in vitamin C.  I'd highly recommend going in to PETCO and talking to someone there.  They can answer specific questions and tell you if this is the right one for you.  You do need to clean the cage often or it will smell. 

FYI---PETCO friends and family coupon is up on their website I think.  20% today and tomorrow.

• All of the ones I have ever been around have been mean.. They dont seem to like to be held much.

But.. I have had a few rabbits that made awesome pets! 

• I second the notion for a pet rat. It sounds creepy I know, but they can be really friendly, and are even trainable. Of all the little pets I've had they've by far been the best.

The only unfortunate part is that they tend to get tumors, which can eventually prove fatal unless you want to pay for expensive surgery. I've heard that if you get a female and have her fixed (to reduce hormone levels) it can prevent this problem.   

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Guinea Pigs make good pets if your boys are okay with looking and not touching. Even if you get them young, they may like attention but not want to be touched and will run away. They certainly wouldn't want to be held too much. I mean, you may get the most friendly GP in the world or you may get the meanest, it is a toss up. They are cute and do love to be hand fed.

I have to respond to the PP who said rabbits make good pets. Yes they make awesome pets but you HAVE TO GET THEM FIXED! They make terrible pets otherwise. They get mean, they spray, and they get sick and die young. But if you get them fixed they are super friendly, they will actually use a litter box and they can live 8-10 years. But they are a lot of work and they need big cages and they need to be in the house with you and they need play time outside of their cage. There are lots of bunny rescues that could pair you with a friendly one.

Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• I've had 2 Guinea Pigs and they were both very friendly and sweet, and SO cute. But I agree with the suggestion of a rat. An ex-boyfriend of mine had 2 pet rats and they were just awesome. They loved to cuddle, and would even respond to their names.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"