Health & Exercise
Options

Excess sodium...a problem?

I've recently started tracking what I eat as a way of both managing my weight, and also preparing my body for the future little one that I hope to conceive. :)

One thing that I've noticed is that I get a lot of sodium in a day; not an enormously disgusting amount, but at least 40% over the maximum daily suggested limit. This is due mostly to the fact that I eat a lot of soups for dinner at work, because I have limited time to prepare meals, and we don't have a lot of options/kitchen gear to work with at my mill.

I looked up the possible problems related to excess sodium intake, and it seems that the major one is high blood pressure, which I definitely don't have. My blood pressure has always been extremely good, somewhere around 125/75 or so. 

So basically, ruling out the blood pressure, I was wondering if there is any other good reason (taking future baby into account) for me to try and cut down my sodium? I'm hesitant to cut out my soup, because it's not only easy for me, but is also how I get some of my other nutrients (I usually eat vegetable soups, so I'm getting my intake there). 

Any suggestions/advice/comments? :)

Re: Excess sodium...a problem?

• Options

I recently met with a nutritionist just prior to my IVF cycle.  She said that I didn't need to worry about the canned soups etc that I eat.  I wouldn't worry about the extra sodium,  

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think the only reason you would need to worry about sodium intake is if you did have high blood pressure. One thing to keep in mind too is that if you are really active your body is probably using a lot of that sodium (and potatssium) during workouts and all of that needs to be replenished. I'm a runner and I know when I'm training intensely I crave high sodium foods, but my bp is always something like 100/50. I wouldn't worry about it unless you notice you're bp starts to rise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"