Two Under 2
Options

Help! How to keep a toddler out of baby things?

Baby isn't here yet, but I'm setting up the baby stuff and his room, etc. DD has this thing about being in the swing, bouncer, etc

She thinks they're her toys. I tell her they're for the baby, I put her dollies in them and show her to be gentle. She climbs up in there and giggles. She knows she isn't supposed to get in there (swing esp) but does it, I think mainly for a reaction from me. I just worry about her breaking it before the baby even gets here. What can I do? 

Re: Help! How to keep a toddler out of baby things?

• Options
    We have most of the stuff set up and have been letting DS play with it. We don't let him in the swing, but we have been letting him turn it on and off and push the swing. We let him sit in the car seat and bouncer, and play with the toys. Sure enough, after about 2 weeks of playing with everything, it has lost its appeal and he ignores it now. I think that a lot of the appeal is that it is a new, forbidden toy, and if you let them get the curiousity out of their systems, it becomes just another toy.
  • Options
    Yes, but that's the problem, she's heavy and she wants to swing in the swing. She turns them on/off, swings them, puts her dolls in but the biggest thing is she wants to BE in the swing. I can't just ignore her in it b/c I can see it sad under pressure from her weight (even though she's only 25 lbs) so I don't know what to do with her.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we had the same problem!  Luckily my DD is barely 25lbs so she didn't break anything but she was driving me nuts!  I took it all out and then put it all back and didn't bring it back out until DD 2 came home and I was needing to use it--then she saw the baby in it and didn't try to get into the swing, bouncer, etc...
  • Options
    I just continue to remind her she's not allowed to sit in them, that it will break, that she can put her dolls/animals in there to play or sleep.  Every once in a while I'll see her sneak in, but I think the novelty is wearing off by now. (DD2 is 9 weeks.)  Just keep trying and give it time.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"