North Carolina Babies
Options

NBR: Cable options

I've got to take a mental break, so I'm doing it by figuring out how we can get rid of TWC.  Right now we have digital cable and DVR.  Honestly, we really just watch the regular broadcast channels most of the time.  For what we're paying for the rest of it, I think we can do without.  I hate the thought of not having our DVR or on-demand channels, but it just doesn't make sense with what we're paying.  I've talked to TWC a few times and gotten the best rate I can, but it's still too much to justify.

So, DH suggested we just completely turn off the cable, and just get one of those converter boxes.  How does that work?  You just pay for the box and voila, you have basic cable? 

I was thinking of staying with TWC, but just going to their bare bones cable, because I think Disney channel is included in that lineup.  But I'm not sure how much that is.  Getting pricing from them is like pulling teeth. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: NBR: Cable options

• Options

Good luck to you!  I would love to ditch TWC.  I love the DVR, but HATE what we're paying for it.  Of course, it's not working right now anyway, so we're pretty much paying for nothing as it is. Devil

My parents have just a tv/converter in one of the bedrooms and they are really happy with all the channels they get.  They said that WRAL has a bunch of channels, including one that shows movies all day.  They also have satellite on other TVs, so I'm not sure exactly how that all works out.

• Options

We have one upstairs and it works very well.  You do need an antenna to go with the converter box.

I really found the govt. site dtvanswers.com to be helpful.  I am not sure if they still have the $40 converter box coupons or not, but you can look into that as well (that is about what they cost). 

ETA:  The hook up is easy.  Tv ---> Converter Box --> Antenna

You will have to look up the type of antenna you need based upon your area - most likely you will need a UHF, but you might need a combo VHF/UHF 

It doesn't look like they have coupons left, but the site with that info would be dtv.gov 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We don't pay for any cable, I think we canceled it about 2 years ago. We have a newer TV, so we didn't need the converter box but we do have a digital indoor antenna. I think it was about $40 at Best Buy. We get HD channels - WRAL, NBC, Fox, PBS and a whole bunch of other random channels. (Like a retro TV channel, religious channels, Qubo - a kids station etc.) We've been really happy with it. We don't get ABC since the digital switch thing, not sure why.

We really don't watch much TV anyway. I"ll watch the news and some morning shows occasionally. We watch the shows we want online. Plus we have Netflix and use that a lot.
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Options
    We've been contemplating this for a long time.  Most of the channels we watch can also be viewed online (through hulu.com).  It's annoying sitting through the commercials and sometimes the internet phases out a little bit, but I think we're close to cutting them loose. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I know nothing about the converter boxes. I just wanted to recommend checking to see if AT&T U-Verse is available in your area. We ditched TWC for U-Verse and it rocks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"