North Carolina Babies
Options

More daycare woes

I really think Eli doesn't like going to daycare.  I know that sounds stupid, but I really am wondering if he has fun there.  For the past 2 days, he has gotten so upset about going.  But it's different from times in the past.  For a long time he cried when I dropped him off, but then he would go on to have a good day, and I don't think that's happening anymore.  It's not that he doesn't want to go to school, it's that he doesn't want to go to HIS class. 

This morning when we were getting ready, I asked him if he wanted to go play with his friends today, and named them by name.  He always gets excited about seeing his 2 friends.  But this morning he told me no.  Then he fought me to stay in the car when we got there.  Once we got inside he was fine, but he wanted to go into his old classroom, and then another classroom with older kids.  The minute we stepped in the door of his classroom he freaked out.  The same thing happened yesterday.  I could not get him to calm down, and eventually the teacher from his old class took him and let him eat breakfast in there.  As soon as he was over there he calmed down and was fine.

I think the problem is with his class.  It is SO wild in there.  There are 9 boys and 1 girl.  And the other boys are so rambunctious, and Eli's just not like that.  He likes to run and play, but when it comes to wrestling and rolling around on the floor, he's just not into it.  And I think he gets caught up in it alot and gets upset.  It seems like every morning and every afternoon when I'm there it's just madness.  The teachers just don't seem in control.  I'm sure it's a hard age, but they're always running around wild, yelling, moving furniture, wrestling on the floor, knocking things down, etc.  I think it just really intimidates Eli and he's so uncomfortable.  And I think that's why he was more than happy to go back to his old class this morning. 

I guess I need to talk to the director (again) about that class being out of control.  And I think his friends are wild like that too, and maybe that's why he doesn't want to play with them anymore.  He even told me the other day one of his friends was not nice to him.  Does this sound like a problem, or am I just over-reacting and have a weenie child?  I just don't feel like the class is under control, at least when I'm there.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: More daycare woes

• Options
    I would definitely talk to the director.  I would just lay it out like you explained it to us.  Tell her that you feel like Eli is unhappy in his new room because it's so rough.  He isn't having fun and he doesn't even like his old friends that much anymore. It sounds like the teachers need to work on managing the class better and giving Eli a way to play quietly if some of the other kids are wrestling and rough-housing.
  • Options
    I think it's normal to have a few rowdy kids in a classroom, but if his whole class is like that, then that's a problem.  The teachers should definitely have control of their children - structure is important and kids respond well to structure.  It's not a matter of having a "weenie" child or not!  If his teachers in earlier classes were good at keeping their kids under control and his teachers now are bad at it, then yea...I don't blame him for not wanting to play with these kids.  Kids normally find one or two friends at their "level" of self-control..whether it's more timid, average, or more rowdy.  If his whole class is rowdy and he has no one to connect to then I wouldn't be surprised if he hates his class.  I would definitely have a talk with the director...maybe if do a surprise visit (can you look in w/o him seeing you?) and watch for an hour or two with the director next to you to prove your point.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought you said you were moving his daycare? Maybe I am confused about who posted it, but if this is the same place I know you haven't been happy there. Do you have any other options? Poor Eli! I would talk with the director and see what she has to say.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    9 boys in 1 classroom would be a lot to handle. I know a friend of mine goes to dc with her little boy who is on the quiet more mellow side (unlike my wild child).She says they do centers to keep it under control. They have to separate some of the little ones so they are in different center groups. Anyway they do have their free time but for the most part they are structured.  Have you talked to the teacher about this? I might start with her then go to director. Or maybe talk to his old teacher about what is going on in there.
  • Options

imagedbertagni:
    I thought you said you were moving his daycare? Maybe I am confused about who posted it, but if this is the same place I know you haven't been happy there. Do you have any other options? Poor Eli! I would talk with the director and see what she has to say.

You've got the right person, I am moving him.  But not until after the beginning of the year.  We're staying here until he moves to the new center. 

Thanks for reassuring me ladies.  I did call, and I talked to the asst. director that I get along with.  I told her exactly what I told you, and let her know that I realize 2 year olds are crazy, and boys like to play, so she didn't think I was over-reacting.  She was very nice and said she would definitely check in on it, and to let her know if I still felt like there was a problem in the upcoming weeks.  She also said that a few of the older boys are getting ready to move up to the 2 yo class, so that might really help.  I think Eli is happier when he's one of the older kids in the class, since he is more laid back.  And maybe a few more girls will move up so the class as a whole isn't so wild.  And I do personally think one of his teachers isn't quite fit for the job (even though I like her), and while I didn't come out and say that to the director, I did mention that she's the one often in there when it seems out of control, so maybe she just needs some help during those times.

If it continuest to be a problem, I will push for them to put him back into his old class until we switch daycares.  I learned from one of the other moms that by law they can be in any toddler class until they're 2, and she held her DD back from the 2 year class b/c she was getting ready to switch centers too. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"