D.C. Area Babies
Options

Fuss-it-out, crib standing and other woes

So my son is 8 months, and is going through a wakeful sleep cycle.  He's up at least twice a night.  A few weeks ago we were letting him fuss it out, with some success.  He'd get him self back to sleep within 10 minutes or so.  But now he's learned to stand in his crib - he thinks this is great.  But I don't think he's figured out sitting back down.  So he wakes up, pulls himself up, stands there and wails (and bounces up and down).  So we pick him up, cause he just seems to work himself up into a lather the longer he stands there and bounces.  Also, he is in close vicinity to our daughter, who will wake up.  But now I feel like we're in a cycle - he pulls up, we pick him up and rock him (or nurse him) until he falls asleep.  I don't remember going through this with first baby.  If I new he could sit back down (without crashing backwards), we wouldn't get him right away.  anyone else dealing with this? thanks!

Re: Fuss-it-out, crib standing and other woes

• Options
    Do you have the crib all the way lowered?  DS was pulling up when we had it set in the middle.  Now that it is all the way down he stopped pulling up for now. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I definitely feel for you!  DD just started standing on her own in her crib every time we put her in it.  She has always been such an easy baby who usually likes to go to sleep, so this is definitely hard for us.  I went in there yesterday while she was supposed to be napping, and she was standing up chewing on the crib and screaming because she couldn't get down.  It looked like a beaver ate the side of the crib, and she was covered in white paint.  We're going to look for something at BRU to cover it so she stops chewing, and as for the not being able to get down from standing, I'm hoping she figures it out quickly.  It's exhausting!
    BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

image7*7*7bride:
    Do you have the crib all the way lowered?  DS was pulling up when we had it set in the middle.  Now that it is all the way down he stopped pulling up for now. 

Ditto this.  It could at least help make it a little harder for him to pull up.  I don't remember this being a long phase with Maggie and we haven't gotten there with Molly yet so I don't remember how long it lasts.  Have you tried just putting him down as soon as he fusses instead of letting him get worked up so you have to rock him?  Or does he just pull right back up again?

• Options
    My good friend whose son is now 9 had to do this when he was around a year old.  Her favorite story is that he fell asleep standing up in his crib and as he would start to fall asleep he'd startle himself awake and grip the rails only to fall asleep again.  She said it was very cute but also heartbreaking since he was crying out for her. She kept at it though and eventually they had success.
  • Options
    Thanks all.  Yes, the crib is all the way down.  He is just so determined to get us to pick him up.  And so far, we just reinforce it by picking him up.  We're pretty weak.  Especially since we're always worried he'll wake up his sister.  And he was sick for a while.  And now teething.  Always a reason I feel bad letting him wail for us.  I guess we're not ready to do CIO yet  That's too funny about the baby who would fall asleep standing up.  We were really spoiled around 3 - 4 months.  He would sleep 9 - 5 or so.  It was so great.  And it was great timing, as that was around the time I was going back to work.  We'll get back there eventually (pep talk to myself).  Karen
  • Options

imagebabypuplove:
    I definitely feel for you!  DD just started standing on her own in her crib every time we put her in it.  She has always been such an easy baby who usually likes to go to sleep, so this is definitely hard for us.  I went in there yesterday while she was supposed to be napping, and she was standing up chewing on the crib and screaming because she couldn't get down.  It looked like a beaver ate the side of the crib, and she was covered in white paint.  We're going to look for something at BRU to cover it so she stops chewing, and as for the not being able to get down from standing, I'm hoping she figures it out quickly.  It's exhausting!

we bought those plastic shields to protect the crib but they are very easy to remove and we often find 1 or all 4 of them on the floor, as DD likes to remove them and throw them down

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"