Trouble TTC

RE for recurrent m/c?

I have just had my fourth m/c, my third this year. I go back to the OB on the 30th for a follow up for my d&c, and he has agreed to start testing DH and I. However, they are only going to conduct blood tests and not anything more than that. I'm doing as much research as I can, but on this board particularly, I see that most people say an RE is for women who are having trouble getting pregnant. I have never had trouble getting pregnant. I have trouble staying pregnant.

DH and I have been trying since March, and had a m/c in April, July, and now in November. Is an RE the way to go?  Whether or not the OB finds anything, I'm just unsure what to do.  I like this particular OB, but I don't trust military doctors in general to do what is right for me based on past experiences.  I am just at a loss as to what to do.  After my first m/c, and then subsequent healthy pregnancy, I never thought I would be in this position.  I just don't know what to do.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: RE for recurrent m/c?

• I would still see an RE because they can test for different things that may be causing the m/c. You would want a repetative loss panel.

I am sorry you are going thru this.

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • Thank you.  I have spent months worrying that something was wrong.  After my loss in July, my third loss, I called my PCM to try to get a referral to be tested.  He told me that I was too young (26) and that I had a healthy pregnancy so I shouldn't worry.  It is just bad luck.  He told me if I lost another that he would refer me, but not until then. 

My OB told me that it is worth a try to start testing me, but that he doesn't think they will find anything because I've had a healthy pregnancy.  After my first m/c, they told me that it was probably a fluke.  It wouldn't happen again.  Now, I'm wondering if DS was a fluke and maybe that won't happen again.

I also wonder about family history. No one in my family has ever had a m/c.  DH has a long history of loss in his family though.  MIL lost twins; DH's aunt had 3 m/c and cannot have children; BIL and his wife had three m/c over 3 years and were both finally diagnosed as being infertile.  BIL has a low sperm count, and SIL has PCOS.  They were told without IVF, they wouldn't have children.  Now, I wonder if DH needs to have a sperm analysis, which I know my doctor will not recommend.  It is just so frustrating.

• Loading the player...
  • There is such a thing called Secondary Infertility because things change over time. There are boards for both Sec. IF and TTC after a loss and they ladies there may be able to help you more since I have never been pregnant.

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • Definitely go to an RE. They will run many blood tests on you and should be able to come up with some answers.

The fact that you did get pregnant numerous times suggest that your DH will probably not need a SA, just some blood tests for chromosomal karyotyping.

There are genetic mutations that some REs believe can contribute to recurrent miscarriages. These can usually be easily treated by taking lovenox. Good luck, and I am so sorry for your losses.

• I am sorry for your losses.

I guess you could have the bloodwork done by your OBGYN, but it might be better just to start with an RE. If you end up with a diagnosed issue that would require more intervention to get pregnant then all the tests results and everything are already where they need to be. Another thing you may want to consider is how your insurance will work depending on who orders the tests.

You should definately be tested for any blood clotting disorders that could be contributing to the losses and genetic testing for both you and DH to make sure you aren't carrying some sort of gene which arrests the development of you babies so early.

The brother-in-law thing is interesting so an SA should also be odered. I would also ask his mother if she took anything while she was pregnant to prevent miscarriage. There is a drug that was used in the 70's that can cause infertility in baby boys from mothers that took it. (sorry, can't remember the name)

Good luck and Hugs.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• imageAssembly_Reqd:

I am sorry for your losses.

I guess you could have the bloodwork done by your OBGYN, but it might be better just to start with an RE. If you end up with a diagnosed issue that would require more intervention to get pregnant then all the tests results and everything are already where they need to be. Another thing you may want to consider is how your insurance will work depending on who orders the tests.

You should definately be tested for any blood clotting disorders that could be contributing to the losses and genetic testing for both you and DH to make sure you aren't carrying some sort of gene which arrests the development of you babies so early.

The brother-in-law thing is interesting so an SA should also be odered. I would also ask his mother if she took anything while she was pregnant to prevent miscarriage. There is a drug that was used in the 70's that can cause infertility in baby boys from mothers that took it. (sorry, can't remember the name)

Good luck and Hugs.

MIL passed away a couple of years ago, but she never told her kids she was once pregnant with twins.  She became pregnant at 16.  FIL told me, and a friend of the family confirmed it because he went to high school with her.  He assumed the pregnancy was FIL's also, but it wasn't.  He thought it was my oldest BIL she was pregnant with, but it was way before he was even considered.  She was really awful after my first m/c, and told me that nothing like that ever happened to her.  She said it in a way in which she was saying that something was wrong with me.  Therefore, even if she was alive, she wouldn't be honest about if she was on anything to prevent pregnancy loss.

• I would go see an RE.  I had other issues too, but I was told to see an RE b/c of two, my age and my uterine deformity.  Once you get pg, you see the RE for the first tri, then back to your regular doc.  Hope this helps
  • I had problems staying pregnant, like you.  I had two miscarriages and then sought the help of an RE.  I was fortunate enough to have my DD with her help.  The we decided to TTC again.  I had another miscarriage.  I am now back with my RE.

Working with an RE is totally different than working with a regular OB/GYN.  The RE is used to working with women that have reproductive problems.  Therefore, no questions are silly, no suggestions for treatment are silly, and they are used to patients that need a lot of care - I never felt like I was being a pain in the ass patient.  My phone calls are returned right away.  When I did get pregnant with my daughter, I had lots of bloodwork and an ultrasound once a week to make sure things were progressing normally.  It really made a difficult time for me a lot more bearable.  

I am afraid of yet another miscarriage but at least when I am in my RE's care, I feel I am being as proactive as I can be.

Good luck! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers mc #1 2/17/06 mc#2 8/3/06 mc #3 9/7/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"