Special Needs
Options

just dx w/oral-motor dyspraxia - need advice

This morning, we finally received a diagnosis by a neurologist.  DD has oral-motor dyspraxia.  I'd love to hear from other moms whose children have this dx. DD's language seems fine, but the speech is inarticulate, delayed, and she seems to have sensory issues and clumsiness.  (Why does no one else seem alarmed that she just suddenly veers off course and walks into a wall sideways?!?)

I'm trying to find out if our insurance will properly recognize it as a motor skills disorder or will lump it in as a developmental delay.  Has anyone else had issues even though the diagnosis came from a neuro?

How is your child responding to therapy?  Anything in particular to look for when looking for a therapist?  I've been researching several in preparation for a diagnosis so we can be ready to move forward asap. 

Any advice?  Care to share your experience?

After three years TTC, four IUI's plus 2 cancelled, MFI (morph, motility, count), maternal age (40 as of 5/12) & former endo, we're moving to IVF spring 2012 (good/avg AMH and FSH). We did beat the odds once, however. DD born after 2 years TTC with clomid and no monitoring at my age 35. Doctors are SHOCKED we were able to conceive. Here's hoping for another miracle.

Re: just dx w/oral-motor dyspraxia - need advice

• Options

My 4 yo was dx with this 2.5 years ago. Here is my blog address:

https://herehaveacookie-meghan.blogspot.com/

It's all about our journey. 

• Options
    image-auntie-:

Dyspraxic kids often have comorbid issues. The one kid I know with "pure" dyspraxia has significant tone issues and is quite clumsy.

Walking into things can be a function of "toddlerhood"- they toddle. In older kids it's usually related to poor motor planning/procieptive processing issues. It could also be sensory seeking behavior. It could be a combination of factors. An OT can screen for these issues.

Whether insurance will cover depends on the state in which you live and your policy. It most likely will fall under the umbrella of developmental delay regardless of who does the offical dx. For example DS has a dx of autism from a developmental ped and specific LD from a neurologist. Insurance paid for the evaluations but not the remediation. They did cover his psychologist for comorbid anxiety.

Is SPD a comorbid condition? My son is not on the spectrum, but does have some sensory issues as well as attention issues.Just curious.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageN.CarolinaGirl:

I'm trying to find out if our insurance will properly recognize it as a motor skills disorder or will lump it in as a developmental delay.  Has anyone else had issues even though the diagnosis came from a neuro?

How is your child responding to therapy?  Anything in particular to look for when looking for a therapist?  I've been researching several in preparation for a diagnosis so we can be ready to move forward asap. 

Any advice?  Care to share your experience?

DS has a diagnosis of dyspraxia, and my insurance lumps it in with developmental delay.  As Auntie said, they would pay for diagnosis, but not treatment.  My SLP indicated that she has had some success in getting insurance to change positions if we were to appeal, but we've decided not to go that route (she is out of our HMO network, and the cost to switch to a PPO and fight it is just too much).

I think you need to find a therapist who has specific experience with dyspraxia and sensory issues.  Our SLP does, and Zach is making progress, though it is admittedly slow compared to the goals EI wrote for him (they missed the dyspraxia in their evaluation).  We use sign language, movement, and sensory "rewards" to encourage him to talk, as well as the PROMPT method (I think that is the right acronym - using touch to cue certain sounds).  He def. needs the movement piece to encourage sound production.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"