Alabama Babies
Options

I'm a little confused (Formula question)

First let me say Aubrey is eating 3 and a half oz's every 2 hours. (roughly...we feed on demand and that is usually how she does it)  I am thinking that I need to bump her up, and according to all the charts it says she should be eating 4oz-6oz's per feeding and she should be eating 5-7 bottles a day. 

So if I bump her up then I am guessing she'll go longer between feedings right?  It wouldn't be a situation where she'd want the higher amount every two hours would it?  I know this probably sounds stupid, but it's confusing to me...I mean right now if you go in a 24 hour span she is taking way more than 5 -7 bottles and now I am thinking I might be over feeding her?

Re: I'm a little confused (Formula question)

• Options
    I can't offer any suggestions on how much she should be eating, but 3.5 oz's 12 times a day is the same as the 6 oz's 7 times a day :)

All Dressed Up

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Okay I found something that makes better sense...it says most babies when they reach 10lbs seem to go longer between feedings...she isn't there yet...she's only 8lbs14oz's right now...so I can bump her up if she seems to not be satisfied...I watch for her cues when she's hungry. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekaryn83:
    I can't offer any suggestions on how much she should be eating, but 3.5 oz's 12 times a day is the same as the 6 oz's 7 times a day :)

Oh my gosh you are right!  Now I feel silly...I didn't think about it like that...lol thanks!  

• Options
    I think at 1 month Aidan was eating 4oz every 3 hours.  At 2 months we moved him up to 5 oz.  My pedi said if he was emptying the bottle with no trouble every time to increase him by 1/2 oz.  We just recently started 6 oz and he still eats every 3 hours during the day.
  • Options

My pediatrician gave me a good rule of thumb for formula feeders.  They should get around 2.5 oz for every pound of weight.  So, 9 X 2.5=22.5 oz per day.  If she is sucking the bottom out of bottles, then I would up the amount she is getting per feeding.  Hopefully, she will then go longer between feedings as well.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagenjslp:

My pediatrician gave me a good rule of thumb for formula feeders.  They should get around 2.5 oz for every pound of weight.  So, 9 X 2.5=22.5 oz per day.  If she is sucking the bottom out of bottles, then I would up the amount she is getting per feeding.  Hopefully, she will then go longer between feedings as well.

This is the same advice our pedi gave but she said to just use a guide. I know it seems hard at first, but just watch their cues...she will let you know if she's hungry...also, if she starts spitting up a lot, she may be getting too  much.  HTH

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"