Single Parents

Creating holiday spirit?

I want my kids to grow up excited about the holidays and remembering little things that made it special. (My parents put the tree up last minute, no frills.)

It just feels like there's something missing. Like I'm going through all of the motions, but it's fake or something. Does anyone know what I mean? Like I'm trying to create something that's not really there.

Someone will know what I mean . . .

Re: Creating holiday spirit?

• you can't create it if you don't feel it too....
  • I know exactly what you mean. I feel like a total Grinch, but I'm just not into the holidays this year.  I wish I could fast forward to January 2.
  • Loading the player...
  • I know what you mean, Holidays growing up for me were hard. So I try not to make it that way with my DS even when it is hard. I just keep saying to myself "it's not about me". It's about him. He doesn't talk about the presents he gets he talks about how Grandpa slipped him a taste of beer, or how the gingerbread house looked crazy, or the silly pj's we wear every year. All the sacrifices I make to ensure he has good memories are all worth it when you think about it. You don't have to spend alot of money in order to create lasting memories.

• For me, the closer DS gets to actually having a clue that a holiday even exists, the easier it gets to be excited (I am not a single mom, btw). 

When he was a baby, it was like "why bother baking sugar cookies, he doesn't care".  Even his 2nd Christmas, he was 15 months, he didn't care.

Now that he is 2, it is fun for me mostly bc it is fun for him.  I still think rolling out and frosting sugar cookies is a giant pain in the butt, but he gets so excited that it is worth it.  Same with putting up the tree, looking at xmas lights, etc.  To me they are boring and in some cases, just more chores for me to do.  But since he lvoes them, it is easier to get in the spirit. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"