Trouble TTC

calling PCOS LADIES..

Thought I would start a thread asking for PCOS ladies to share a little of their stories.  I don't have any "friends" yet on here and would like to follow some of your stories.

Got my official diagnosis today: PCOS.  Pretty much figured that.  DH's first SA came back abnormal (low volume). Have done two cycles of clomid (mostly for Dr. to be able to do labs to get a diagnosis).  About to start on a med (can't remember name) to help with estrogen level, and will start clomid and monitoring again next cycle.

A little discouraged today....(things never move fast enough for us, do they?).  But remain hopeful that God has a plan.  Anyone want to share their story?   

Re: calling PCOS LADIES..

• I was diagnosed early September, but my OBGYN told me that if I lose weight it and my diabetes will probably go away.  So I have lost a little over 20 lbs, and plan to lose about 50 more. 

I have another health issue going on...i have a tumor on my pituatary gland that is producing excess prolactin so I have to go back December 9 for more blood work and hopefully then I will get a good report from the OBGYN

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow!  So this is new to me.  Does excess weight contribute to PCOS??  I am just learning more about it, but hadn't heard that.  I would like to take off about 10 extra lbs that have accumulated over the last year, maybe this will motivate me a little more.  Any tips?
  • Loading the player...
  • I was diagnosed this past September. Prior to BC, I had regular periods. All of this just starting coming about after my cycles became increasingly longer after DH and I started TTC and I threw out my Nuvaring. I have no other symptoms of PCOS, just irregular cycles/anovulatory and the ovaries covered with cysts. I am not insulin resistant and I'm not overweight. I'm not sure if Metformin would be an option...I'm going to start clomid after AF arrives.
    TTC #1 since 05/09
    Me: Oligomenorrhea (workup for PCOS turned out to be negative)
    DH: 1st SA 11/09: good volume but only 20% normal

Cycle #1: Clomid 50mg=No O
    1/10 2nd SA (this time at the fertility clinic): PERFECT!!!
    1/10 My Tests: HSG All clear! B/W is normal!
    2/10 Started Acupuncture

Cycle #2: 100 mg Clomid CD4-CD8 trigger TI Progesterone=BFN
    Cycle #3: 100 mg Clomid CD3-CD7 trigger TI Progesterone=BFP!
    Beta 1=144 Beta 2=359 Beta 3=637

My Scrambled Eggs

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise BFP January 2012! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi! My name is Ashley.  I went off of BCP (on for 4 years) in May and we've been trying to conceive since June 09.  I have not yet had a natural period (only a couple brought on by Prometrium & Provera). 

I went to my OBGYN at the end of August and was told I had PCOS (based on my past history along -- I have a history of very irregular periods).  She ran some basic bloodwork that all came back normal.  We switched to an RE.  I just finished a round of Provera, did baseline bloodwork today, and we will be having our HSG and SA next Monday.  I have had an ultrasound showing possible polycystic ovaries in the past and the symptoms are all there.  The RE believes it is PCOS but wants to rule out everything else before making a firm diagnosis.

If all goes well with our testing, we will be doing Clomid w/ monitoring in January as soon as the holidays are over.

We are really hoping that this will be enough to do it and bring us our little one.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey,

I was diagnosed two years ago. I have been controlling the symptoms with diet and exercise after having been on antiglycemics. 

Before the dx AF never came without hormone treatments. After going to a naturopath and doing a lot of research I have been able to manage it with my diet to control the insulin resistance.  After changing a lot of things in my lifestyle I have been able to keep a 36 day regular cycle. Losing extra weight really helped and watching my diet was the best thing for me!

It was a long road but you can get through it if you really try!!

Take Care

• I have PCOS as well, it's pretty common. I would suggest heading over to the Infertility board, there's a ton of good infos from those ladies. Clomid is great for a lot of women, but it's definitely not a cure-all. I see from your siggy that the last two rounds you've done haven't produced any good follicles. In my first treatment cycle, we did one round of Clomid at 150mg and didn't see a response. At that point we did injectibles and I overstimulated. The cycle was cancelled, but I still got pregnant and now our baby is laying in my lap as I type :)

There does seem to be a link between PCOS and insulin resistance. Do you know if you have insulin resistance? If so, you should go on Metformin to control it. Met has some bad side effects (namely diarrhea), but it gets better within a few weeks and for many women it helps enormously with PCOS symptoms. Weight loss can also be a big help, but PCOS makes it harder to lose weight, so that can be a bit of a catch-22. I've heard that a glycemic index diet works best for women with PCOS, but I never managed to lose any weight, so don't quote me on that. A loss of 10% of your body weight can make a difference. There are some lean PCOSers, though, so if you aren't overweight, don't worry about that.

Just hang in there....I know it's hard. I remember those dark days so vividly it hurts. Don't get discouraged if the Clomid doesn't work, if/when you move to injectibles there is a whole different process at play with how they work, and injectibles work for the vast majority of women, though it may take a few cycles to figure out the right dosing.

Good luck!!!

• A brief history is that I was diagnosed in May 2005, tried naturally for two years due to finanacial strain and then started on fertility meds May 2007. Done 4 cycles of clomid, and now it has been 8 cycles of femera, 6 of them with HCG injects, all with TI.

The PCOS check-in is on the Infertility board if anyone wants to join, twice a week. Lots of support and lots of gals willing to help.

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • You ladies are fabulous....give me lots of hope! I don't have all the symptoms of PCOS, just some slight "pearl necklace-looking" ovaries, no regular period (except on BC), and then the fantastic dark hairs on the chin that nobody ever mentions!  Insulin is fine.  My sister got pregnant on 50 mg clomid with slight PCOS.  I think mine's a little more severe, and then there's the MFI with DH.  sigh.

We'll just keep trucking along though, knowing God has a plan.  I will jump over to the Infertility board as suggested.  So thanks for that!  Can't wait to keep following all of your journeys!

• KaraMay,

Would you mind sharing your diet/eating habits, as well as workout info.  I just wonder what you learned about controlling PCOS with diet & exercise.  How does it differ from other diets?

• I'm not overweight, but I had gained about 10-15 pounds after going off BCP even though I was exercising regularly and eating well.  Very frustrating to see the scale keep going up!  I was dx PCOS in July.  I started Metformin October 1st and I've lost 15 pounds since then. 

If you are looking for a specific diet check out South Beach or any that are geared toward low glycemic index to help with PCOS.  That seems to help, even those not insulin resistant.

I also highly recommend you check out soulcysters.net  It's an entire website and message board for women with PCOS.  It's very helpful.  And also the check ins that Katie mentioned on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  You are definitely not alone!  Good luck.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• i was dx with "mild" PCOS, with no real insulin issues showing in blood work.  Although my RE said wanted to do a fasting glucose to double check.  Before we got to that though I started eating Low-GI (essentially what a diabetic should eat) and exercising. I lost 10 lbs, cut out a lot of sugar, and started ovluating.  I got pregnant on my own a few months later. A bit of luck, maybe.  But i reallly think the diet and working out helped *tremendously*

• PCOS and IR diagnosed last January. Have lost 18 lbs through diet & exercise and metformin. Had a couple of periods at the begining induced by provera then they kicked in naturally every 3months, every 2 months and then the last 2 were about 32 days apart. Had to reduce from 2000 met. to 1500 met. because it made me feel nauseous too much. I'm bummed now because I'm (23 days) overdue for a period that was close to getting regular. I assume because I lowered the met. See RE dec. 4 so we'll see. I thought yesterday, "Maybe I'm pregnant?!". Cheap store test said "no". 

From the research I've done it seems that a low glycemic diet aka a diebetic diet or the South Beach diet is best for PCOS/IR. Low carbs and low sugar is the key. Try to give up all refined sugars if you can (I'm still struggling with that. I have a major sweet tooth) or reduce intake as much as possible. I even try to avoid fruits which have fructose as their sugar (bananas are bad-high in carbs and sugar)  and vegetables that are high in sugar (carrots, onions, beets) even though they are natural sugars.

I'm 5'8 athletic and overweight at 220lbs. On a good week I get about 1-1.5 hours of running in and 40 min of lifting. I have to admit that, that isn't as much as I should do. I think I should be exercising for 30+ min 5 days a week w/lifting in there but that is really something for me to work up to. (Have read that lifting weights is very important for people w/PCOS.) I have been bad the last couple of weeks because I have been very down but that's another entry.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageRachelD106:

KaraMay,

Would you mind sharing your diet/eating habits, as well as workout info.  I just wonder what you learned about controlling PCOS with diet & exercise.  How does it differ from other diets?

Sorry to jump in here, but this is really good book: New Glucose Revolution Guide to Living Well with PCOS

TTC#1 with PCOS since 3/2009 2 surgeries to remove dermoid 7 medicaid cycles=BFN 3 IUI's=BFN IVM= BFP Twins- missed m/c @ 9weeks
  • I'm new here too and still learning a lot about PCOS and IF. I was dx with PCOS in Oct. My blood work came back normal but I don't ovulate. I was getting AF but it would come really early or really late and then AF just stopped and didn't come in Sept or Oct. I was put on provera to start AF and then once I started we did ultrasound on day 3 and was put on femera. I had another u/s on day 10 but none of them looked promising so I don't think I ovulated and now I'm just waiting to see if AF comes or if I'm going to have to be put on provera again.  I've been trying to do a lot of research online and that's been helpful. I have heard that loosing weight can help and when I asked my Dr. about it he said it can help so I'm trying to.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hey, I would love to share.

I am insulin resistant so I watch what refined sugars I eat. I don't eat many carbs and when I do they are complex (whole wheat, etc). Also I try to balance my protein intake with my carbohydrate intake. I work out regularily to maintain a healthy weight. I could probably, according to text book, lose about 30 more but I am 5'10 with a hx of eating disorder and have been at lower weights that are definitely not healthy for me. 

I did a lot of reading about PCOS and into fertility diets. There are books that focus on diet for PCOS suffers. I have founf it to have helped alot. Like you I only had regular periods on BC. When I stopped it I did not see AF for about 2 years. When I started changing my diet and lost some weight and became healthy my periods started again on their own and I was able to control other symptoms like acne. Since my diagnosis I have been having regular u/s to keep status on my cysts. At my surgery in Aug for my ectopic the doc said the ovaries were clear!

So as far as I can tell I am doing something right!

Hope this helps.

Take Care

• imageRachelD106:

Thought I would start a thread asking for PCOS ladies to share a little of their stories.  I don't have any "friends" yet on here and would like to follow some of your stories.

Got my official diagnosis today: PCOS.  Pretty much figured that.  DH's first SA came back abnormal (low volume). Have done two cycles of clomid (mostly for Dr. to be able to do labs to get a diagnosis).  About to start on a med (can't remember name) to help with estrogen level, and will start clomid and monitoring again next cycle.

A little discouraged today....(things never move fast enough for us, do they?).  But remain hopeful that God has a plan.  Anyone want to share their story?   

Hey there. I have PCOS and found an INCREDIBLE website that is just for us girls.  and the board there is AMAZIMG!! Tons of support, WAAAAAYYYY more than what you would find here!

go to www.soulcysters.com

the best place to learn more about pcos, and talk with women who are ttc with pcos, as well as diet, exercise, medications, and other things that go along with PCOS.

Good luck!!!!

• I was diagnosed with PCOS in October of 2005 after being off the pill since May and having longer and longer time periods between periods.  I am overweight, with the dark chin hairs, which I despise.  I got pregnant using Clomid and HCG triggers in April of 2006 and had a healthy little girl in January 2007.  We've been TTC #2 since August of 2008, went through a number of Clomid cycles, got pregnant on my first Femara cycle in March and then miscarried in May.  Now I'm nearing the end of the number of times my RE will let me do Femara so she wants me to consider injectibles...  I've always been on 1,500 mg of Met when TTC.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageKraneRN:
    Prior to BC, I had regular periods. All of this just starting coming about after my cycles became increasingly longer after DH and I started TTC and I threw out my Nuvaring. I have no other symptoms of PCOS, just irregular cycles/anovulatory

I'm the same way... I also do not have weight issues so a lot of the info on PCOS out there doesn't provide a lot of insight.   

I've been seeing an RE since early summer 2008 and before that my gyn had me on clomid (unmonitored!!).  After starting with RE we did clomid some more but with monitoring, other meds (progesterone, estrogen, etc) and then the regular b/w.  We were on a break for the last few months and are very excited to start up again here shortly!  This time it is purely injectables :(  but whatever we can do!

Good luck everyone! 

• Wow!  What a response.  So helpful.  Ok, I am going to check out the soulcysters.com website.  And I think I might even check out that diet book for PCOSers!  Thank you so much ladies!  
  • I am Krystal and I officially went off of birth control in April 2009. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids in June of 2009. I just had to switch doctors because my doctor moved and I went to my new doctor today who told me that I have all of signs of PCOS. She did some blood work today and I am scheduled for another ultrasound in December 2009.  If the diagnosis of PCOS is correct, I will begin with Clomid...etc.

• Hello ladies... I am new to site and saw this post. (this will probably be a little lengthy) I was diagnosed with PCOS about 13 years ago. I have all of the symptoms, I guess you could say I am a "textbook" case. I was on clomid for awhile, but nothing happened. Which was probably for the best. (I do have a son that is 15, before my diagnosis, weight problems, etc.) I was told that the chance of me having any more children was slim to none. I met this wonderful man 3 1/2 years ago and he told me not to worry, we could always adopt. Last year out of the blue I became pregnant, but lost the baby after after a few short months. I was devastated. My periods after the loss, became regular (painful, heavy etc, but regular) and I am now 6 months pg and loving it all. I was not taking any meds or doing anything special, but I did lose about 60 lbs before I became pregnant last year. I am still heavier than I want, but apparently it was enough for me. We are very excited and can't wait for our little boy to join us in March. I still have all of the excessive hair, skin tags, my cysts have calmed down and my depression is better. My biggest thing now is gaining all this weight I lost...but it will all be worth it.  Thank you and I hope I have encouraged some of you, that prayers do get answered.  Heather
  • I keep my story in my sig.  I have a ways to go still, but so far, so GOOD!
    7/2009 - Gonal-F cycle #2 with Ovidrel trigger and IUI #5 - BFP! Twin boys born at 38 weeks 3 days! 8 months later...spontaneous BFP! And twins again! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I found out Jan '06 I had PCOS. I've also had cold knife & D/C. I received the Depo shot to suppress what little cycle I had. I did that until '08. Depo stopped working so I switched to a bc pill. Loestrin. Started April' 09. My cycle came like clock work (1st in 5yrs) until Sept. Now I'm due in May '10. My options were IVF or never. I conceived the old fashion way. I had lost 40lbs in '08 but not to help w/ my PCOS but it helped in the long run. I've got a friend w/ PCOS who had a baby June '08 (she & DH had adopted 2 children b/c it was a lost cause). Conceived old fashion way too. There is hope. God does have a plan for all of us.My pregnancy is proof positive My only advice once you have a cycle , DTD the days after your cycle ends. We both conceived that way. Good Luck!
  • I was diagnosed in April after going off BCP in October. I don't have any of the regular symptoms, except that like you the loveley dark hairs. (If anyone has any advice about this it would be appreciated. I had lazer treatment but it didn't work). I'm 5'4" and 115 pounds and don't have pre-diabetes. I was on Provera, Clomid and Metformin (1500 mg), but the labs never showed that I even ovulated. All the doctors were stumped.  I was happy to adopt, but my H wasn't so I was having a hard time accepting it. Then, a year after getting off BCP I came up pregnant.  Now I am 10 weeks and thrilled. God does most definitely have a plan. He is in control, not us. I finally realized that and gave up having anxiety over it. Then He gave me this wonderful gift. Whether you ever concieve or not, have peace in His love for you. I understand your frustration.
  • I had a similar experience after going off BC like Krane. I started using BCP during my Sr. year of college. Prior to BC, my cycles were erratic (sometimes longer, sometime super short or light) but I was always told it was due to my competitive swimming. Then in college, I started BCP since my insurance would finally cover it. While on BCP, I was like clockwork and never had any problems. Before I got married, I went off BC because of the short gap in insurance and change in doctors. Exactly 2 cycles after going of BC, AF completely disappeared but was not pregnant. Unfortunately, I had a terrible doctor and she never connected the dots that something was wrong and it was not until I was in the hospital with a ruptured cyst that I realized my cycle issues were an issue. I quickly switched to a doctor on my GP's recommendation and she diagnosed me with PCOS from my ultrasounds and low hormone levels. I have gone through Metformin, 2 different BCP (to help trigger my cycle again) and now under the direction of yet a new doctor (the 2nd Dr. changed practices and cannot see old patients for 2 years), I will finish out my last Femcon pack and then start Clomid after Christmas. I have no IR and am not overweight, but would love to lose weight, but have the anovulatory and ovaries covered in cysts. I wish you all good luck in your TTC journies.
  • imageKNOBLE:

I am Krystal and I officially went off of birth control in April 2009. I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids in June of 2009. I just had to switch doctors because my doctor moved and I went to my new doctor today who told me that I have all of signs of PCOS. She did some blood work today and I am scheduled for another ultrasound in December 2009.  If the diagnosis of PCOS is correct, I will begin with Clomid...etc.

Hi Krystal. I am Krystle ;) Nice to meet you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"