Pennsylvania Babies
Options

When did you stop working?

My current plan is to have my last day of teaching be Friday 12/4 since I'm due Sunday 12/6. We've already hired my long-term sub, and she is in the process of working with me/observing, so that if I go into labor early everything is ready. We've also had the discussion that if I haven't had the baby, I may decide to return to work on 12/7 and work until she comes. My question - am I absolutely crazy for thinking that I can do this? I know that some people are surprised that I'm trying to even work up until the 4th. I really want to maximize my time home with her though. Unfortunately, I have no choice but to go back full-time with absolutely no flexibility to my work day once my FMLA leave is over in early March.

I will say that I am on my feet most of the day and on the go, which already exhausts me. Just curious as to what others did/are doing and your thoughts. 

Re: When did you stop working?

• Options

I ended up in labor at work at 40w2d.  I had gone part time at 36 weeks and was only working 4 hour days which made that possible. 

That was a friday, I had originally been planning on working until I went into labor no matter what, but had decided to tell my boss that I wasnt coming back the next week (they were going to induce me at 41w2d - the next fri - so I was taking the week to rest)

I remember the last 4 weeks I would sleep until 9, work from 10-2, go home and eat, nap until 5 or 6, eat dinner, watch a little then right back to bed.

I worked in an office so I really just sat on my butt all day and was only going in to cover lunches at that point.  I would suggest since you are teaching trying to get some time to rest at the end before she arrives.  Maybe stop at 39 weeks? 

I cant believe how close we're getting.  How are you feeling?

• Options
    I was planning on working up until my due date (I had J at 39w6d), and then taking any time for myself if I didn't have the baby until after the due date; however, I decided to do that because I was NOT returning to work after I had the baby, so I didn't care if my 12 weeks started before the baby came.  If I was returning to work, I honestly don't know what I would have done-- I would have loved some last-minute time to myself before the baby arrived, but I also wouldn't have wanted to put the baby in daycare a day earlier than I had to.  Definitely not an easy choice!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was overdue and worked right up until my induction. I'm very glad I decided to do that.

I was just telling the story today of the day I went to work on my due date. I was MISERABLE. Although I always suspected I would go late, I really had hoped to meet my daughter before my due date.

I'm a school counselor and went to work on my due date in a bad mood. I just wanted to stay home. Shortly after I arrived, the gym teacher asked to see me. She was teaching a Kindergarten class. When I walked in the gym, all the Kindergarteners stuck balls up their shirts and ran around saying, "Mrs. B. we have bellies like you!". It was awesome and made me thankful for my job!

Even if you don't have an experience like I did, you're going to want that extra time with your baby. That being said, everyone is different. Listen to your body and make your decision based on your needs.

Good luck!

• Options
    I worked until I was in labor.  Looking back I probably should have taken that day off b/c it created more work... I went to a home visits then had to type a report for those visits the week Ethan was born.  It wasn't a huge deal but caused a little unnecessary stress.  The last few weeks were exhausting and I wasn't on my feet but traveling around the county (in and out of my car & homes).  I'm glad that I had all of my leave saved for after Ethan arrived but you need to listen to your body and do what is best for you.  It's a tough decision.
    {Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks for your feedback. At least my administration is being very supportive (they've been wonderful this entire time with all of my appointments) and I think that if it comes to the point where I want to stop, I'll just have to say the word. They know I'm an over-worker, so it won't be as though I'm trying to get out of my job! :)

The time to myself if I do go late sounds great, but I'm already dreading returning to work and wish some miracle would happen where I didn't need to, or at least this school year! I know that I love teaching and eventually I'd really miss it ...but 12 weeks just seems so short!  

I guess we'll see how each week goes -  and when she decides to make her debut!

• Options
    imageMrsPABlondie:

I cant believe how close we're getting.  How are you feeling?

The time is near, isn't it!! Overall, I guess I'm feeling pretty good. My biggest problem is the constant aching in my hips and legs. I really feel like I can feel my hips widening, it feels like someone is cranking them open! I'm on the second floor of our school and the travel to take the kids to lunch, recess, specials, etc. is killing me! We do have an elevator and I do use it sometimes, but after getting stuck in it the other week, I'm scared to death to use it more often, especially since no one heard me pushing the alarm button! I'm claustrophobic as it is, and all I imagine is an elevator delivery scene :) So, unless my class is with me and takes the stairs and they know to make sure I come out, the steps it is!

How are you doing? 

• Options

I was due July 22.  Day came and went with no baby, so induction was scheduled for 6 a.m. July 29. 

I kept working (glad I did, otherise I would have gone stir crazy at home), but my desk was completely empty by July 28.  I had nothing to do, as people stopped sending me stuff the week before.  So I went to work that morning, and decided to leave at 1:30 p.m. to get a pedi with a girlfriend.

A little over an hour later my water broke, and DS came into the world at 8:31, almost exactly 12 hours from when I arrived at the office that morning, convinced the induction would happen the next day.

• Options

With my first pg, I took about 2 1/2 weeks off before my due date, and then my son was late, so it ended up being over 3 weeks off before the delivery.  Honestly, I was getting very bored, but still was glad to have some time off since it was my first.  Now, with my second, I am planning to do the same as you.  I am working up until the last day before my due date.  My temp replacement for work is already training with me, just in case I go early.  The more time you have after the delivery the better.  I find it a little stressful though, since I really don't want my water to break while I am at work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was due on July 31 and was going to work up until like 5 days before my due date.  Well, I had an appt. on Monday the 21st and the doctor stripped my membranes.  I had Sophia the next day.  So my last day of work was the 18th I believe.  It was almost 16 months ago, so I can't remember exactly.

Best of luck to you!  You're getting SO close!!!

• Options
    I am due Nov. 30th and still working until the day the baby comes... which can be sooner than later! Wink  There is a lot of people at work, friends and family that think i am absolutely crazy for working up until the baby comes.  but like a lot of other people, i have 12 weeks of FMLA and that is going to come and go soooo fast... especially over the holiday season so i want to save every day I can for after the baby has arrived.  I am uncomfortable at this point and I mostly sit at a desk at work but sometimes it is hard for me to get away from my desk, even to use the bathroom so i can tend to get very uncomfortable sitting at my desk.  My sleeping at night is horrible so I try to snag a quick nap right when i get home from work before my husband gets home.  I guess I figure it this way... I am gonna be uncomfortable at this point whether i am home or at work, so why not be at work where I can at least be occupied with other stuff rather than just being at home waiting for the time to come when I go into labor. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"