Cincinnati Babies

White noise machines - bad for hearing?

We received a white noise machine as a gift for DS and have been using it at night (and during naps) for the past few months to help him sleep. And I must admit, it does have a very calming effect on him. However, I read something recently that said prolonged exposure to white noise machines can be bad for an infants hearing?

It's not like we really turn up the volume very loud and it's not right by his head, but I wonder if I should maybe use it less? He really seems to like it though. Has anyone else ready any negative reviews in regards to hearing?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers DS 8-14-09 // DD 1-3-12

my blog

Re: White noise machines - bad for hearing?

• I have read that but I've also read that a baby should always have a fan going in the room, and that seems like white noise to me.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Like you said, it's not like you're blasting him with white noise.
  • I have not read anything about white noise machines and hearing.  We started using one when DS was around 1.  We live in a new construction neighborhood and it helped drown out the building noises.  We have it across the room from him and pretty quiet.  Perhaps the article is referring to having the volume ultra loud?  We still use it even now :)
    Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think so. I actually read an article when I was pregnant that white noise machines can cause brain damage, and I freaked out because I have always slept with a white noise machine! But I really don't think it's harmful (and I don't think I have brain damage....) unless you have it turned up to a bizarre volume. We have always used one with DD and she, like me, can't sleep without it. They recommend you run a fan in DC's room to prevent SIDS, and that's white noise, so it can't be all that bad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We run white noise in DD's room all the time.  When she can't go to sleep, we found the hair dryer works wonders, so I downloaded an hour long "song" of the hair dryer.  It helps her stay asleep b/c she is such a light sleeper.  I run the radio on static in the car too b/c she HATES riding in the car.
  • Brandon falls asleep with a light music machine for naps and at night.  It has a timer so it does turn off on it's own, but it definitely helps him. 

ETA:  I too fall asleep with "white noise" each night- the TV.  DH turns it off each night as he almost always falls asleep after I do. 

• My son sleeps with a fan on in his room every night....and, so do I.
  • we used an air purifier in SD's room when she was little. it served two purposes by helping her allergies and acting like a white noise machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"