Illinois Babies
Options

Moving to Chicago area with newborn - lots of questions

My husband just accepted a job offer in Woodridge, so we are planning on moving after the baby is born.  We don't know much about the area, so I have lots of questions.  What is it like there?  What neighborhoods near Woodridge are nice places to live, have nice schools, etc.?  Can you recommend a good pediatrician?  A good OB?

We love where we live now--we live in a small downtown area with lots of restaurants and bars, there are small parks, it's very safe to walk around at night, short distance from major freeways.  We're looking for something similar.  Thank you!!!

Re: Moving to Chicago area with newborn - lots of questions

• Options
    There are some towns in the Woodridge area with nice downtown areas.  They are Downers Grove, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Elmhurst, Hinsdale, and LaGrange.  The downtown areas tend to be a little pricey, but with today's housing market, you may be able to find a great price.  I may be missing one or two, but I am sure the ladies on here will help me out.  The only school districts I am familar with are Glen Ellyn and Naperville, which are both great.  I would say Naperville's downtown area is the largest with the most stores and resturants. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Woodridge is a nice town but there is no real "downtown". 

Downers Grove is right next door and has a very cute (smaller) downtown with several restaurants, irish pub, wine bar, train station etc.  Great schools.  The closer to town/to the train the higher the cost.

If you want to live somewhat near Woodridge I would search for a town in the western burbs and even more specifically along the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Metra train line (BNSF Metra).  Almost all are excellent towns (until you start getting too close to the city)  I would recommend anything along that train line from Naperville (huge downtown area) to LaGrange (also nice downtown closer to DG size).  Western Springs, Clarendon Hills, and Hinsdale are all amazing but very pricey.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    i'll agree with the pps on this one.  DH and I are hoping to move from the city to Downer's Grove sometime in the next couple of years.  The farther North in DG you are the better the school system.  DG North HS has excellent ratings.
  • Options

I agree with pps about Downers Grove or anything along the BNSF line.  We're in Downers now and it's great.  Downers is close to most of the major highways, has plenty of trains into the city and a good hospital on the north end (Advocate Good Samaritan).

You'll get more house for the money in Woodridge, but the property taxes can be high.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    if you are looking for something similar to where you were living (nice downtown, parks, walkable, etc.) i also recommend downers grove.  we moved here two years ago, and it's definitely a good community for families.  we didn't really even consider woodridge because it just didn't have the nice older neighborhoods, didn't seem that walkable -- and because we really needed to be close to the train (we only have one car, and we both work downtown).  there are lots of houses for sale in downers right now, and i'll bet you can find one that's reasonable (or, at least, reasonable for this area -- depends on where you're coming from, i guess!).  we've also come to appreciate westmont, which is a slightly less-pricey and more diverse town just east of downers grove.  their downtown is getting more built up every year, and it's also very convenient for the train, schools, freeway, etc.  i don't have any great recommendations for OBs or pediatricians, as i don't really like my current dr., and we've still not had our baby yet...  good luck!
  • Options
    Naperville is a great town to raise a family in, and the schools are ranked really high.  I know at one point naperville school district 203 was #1 in the state. 
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"