Northern California Babies

Electric roaster for turkey?

Has anyone used an electric roaster to cook their T-day turkey? 

Rival 22qt Roaster

Would you recommend it?

We only have one oven so I was thinking this might be useful for us to have since we are hosting T-day this year.  I've had ham cooked in one of those and it was good.

Re: Electric roaster for turkey?

• I use mine every year and love it.   I even cook my turkey in one of those bags too.  My only complaint is that the turkey doesn't brown the way it would in the oven...I mean, it gets brown but not that even brown that the oven gives.  You really have to rely on your thermometer.
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imageSweetieP:
    IMy only complaint is that the turkey doesn't brown the way it would in the oven...I mean, it gets brown but not that even brown that the oven gives.  You really have to rely on your thermometer.

If this is true, can't you finish the bird off in the oven to brown it?

• Loading the player...
  • imageAvaLikeLava:

imageSweetieP:
    IMy only complaint is that the turkey doesn't brown the way it would in the oven...I mean, it gets brown but not that even brown that the oven gives.  You really have to rely on your thermometer.

If this is true, can't you finish the bird off in the oven to brown it?

I could....but our oven is always full....that's why we have to use the roaster.  ;) 

Oh and my sister has one that she can use as a big buffet server.  She uses it when she hosts big summer parties with fajitas --- she fills each of the containers with beans, rice, and ground beef....makes for a great warming station.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • No experience with the tabletop roasters, but we're in the same boat as you with one oven and no room for the bird in the oven.  This year we're going to smoke a turkey, but I've always deep fried it.  You're welcome to borrow the frier if you're up for it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, they are WONDERFUL!!!!  I recommend buying the NESCO brand (rather than Rival or the other brands).  Nesco has them in many many different sizes (from small 4-6 quarts (think crock pot) to the 20+ quart for turkeys.)  We roast our 25 lb turkeys in them every year and they turn out great, moist, and brown.  My mother even prefers to cook her turkeys at a low temp overnight.  One of the great things about Nesco ovens is that the heat units are not on the bottom, but rather are all along the sides.  Therefore, you don't have to worry about the contents burning on the bottom. I hope this helps!!!
  • I've realized that mine probably doesn't brown evenly because of the cooking bag.

I also have the nesco.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Thanks!  I think it may be a great solution for us. I will check out the Nesco one.
  • My parents bought one last year and now swear by it. It cooks the turkey evenly like the oven would, but instead of waiting until the turkey's done to put in the other casseroles and rolls/buns, they can time the turkey and casseroles to be ready at the same time.

When J and I have our first Thanksgiving, we're getting one of those.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"