Oregon Babies

When MIL buys your kid ugly clothes...

Do you dress your kid in them??  MIL bought several little Carters outfits for DD and they are just not.my.style.at.all!  Most of the time I return them and get clothes that I like... so DH dresses DD every morning, and today when I picked her up, she was in the fugliest outfit!

Anyway, so what do you do with ugly clothes that you don't like? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: When MIL buys your kid ugly clothes...

• put them in the consignment pile!!!!!!!
  • My MIL goes so overboard with clothes buying it's not even funny...last box we got had 16 pants, 7 pj's, 12 shirts, 2 dresses, and 4 pairs of shoes.  Sometimes I ask her if it's okay if I exchange some things for something I feel she needs.  Other's I suck it up and put her in it when MIL is around.  Mostly when I know I am seeing her I put her in something I LOVE and if MIL compliments what she has on I go on and on about how it's totally the stuff I love her in and it's from such and such place which I LOVE and yadda yadda yadda.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ick. My MIL bought DD some stuff recently that is hideous. I think she's starting to figure out what I like to dress her in because she bought her a cute hat from Gymboree the other day, but usually it's very ugly things. She has even bought her very obvious boy clothes and I'm like WTF?! haha
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I wish it was my MIL... it's MY MOM.

She bought my soon to be SON a green sleeper with pink hearts all over it, then tried debating whether it was a girls or boys item. He final say was "WellI will just keep it at my house and he can wear it here" Even the thought of her putting him in that is irritating.

She really wanted a girl, and I think subconsciously is still buying for one!

• imagecloudnine52608:
    My MIL goes so overboard with clothes buying it's not even funny...last box we got had 16 pants, 7 pj's, 12 shirts, 2 dresses, and 4 pairs of shoes.  Sometimes I ask her if it's okay if I exchange some things for something I feel she needs.  Other's I suck it up and put her in it when MIL is around.  Mostly when I know I am seeing her I put her in something I LOVE and if MIL compliments what she has on I go on and on about how it's totally the stuff I love her in and it's from such and such place which I LOVE and yadda yadda yadda.

This is a FABULOUS idea!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm totally going to start doing this!!

• imagepdxjenn:

She bought my soon to be SON a green sleeper with pink hearts all over it, then tried debating whether it was a girls or boys item. He final say was "WellI will just keep it at my house and he can wear it here" Even the thought of her putting him in that is irritating.

Ha!  My Mom bought a blue fleece pajama set with huge pink and purple hearts all over it, before we found out the sex, and said "it will work if it's a boy or a girl!"

Come to think of it...I still have that hanging in her closet with tags on it...maybe I can regift for a certain "baby boy" shower in a few weeks....

• Luckily, my MIL and StepMIL live in Kentucky... so if they send ugly stuff, they'll never know if we don't use it ;)

So far, my mom has only given us 2 things.. a knitted/crocheted blanket that she bought at either a thrift store or yard sale (its not ugly, but I'm going to wash it about 10 times before using it) and this ugly peach pillow thing that is all dirty and gross.. really mom?!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageThe_Jen626:
    imagepdxjenn:

Ha!  My Mom bought a blue fleece pajama set with huge pink and purple hearts all over it, before we found out the sex, and said "it will work if it's a boy or a girl!"

Come to think of it...I still have that hanging in her closet with tags on it...maybe I can regift for a certain "baby boy" shower in a few weeks....

Wow, guess I know what I am getting from you Jen. He he he...

• LoL, it must be a MIL thing.  My MIL has almost always bought the most hideous things for DS usually from discount stores like Ross and Marshall's and so I don't "know" where they come from she rips most or all of the tags off.  When DS was a newborn I'd keep an outfit in the back of my car as a backup backup outfit in case he messed up the one he was wearing and the one in the diaper bag.  If they were too awful they got donated.  I had DH hint to her that we were pretty much set on clothes but we could always use sleepers so now if she buys something that we don't really like at least he only wears it to bed.  The last few times she's bought clothes for him though they have been hugely improved I think she finally caught on to what we dress him in.  Too funny though, this so seems to be a MIL trend!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In 2007 My SIL had twin girls. We are expecting a girl in April! SO....My MIL says to us, "Don't buy ANYTHING until I give you all the clothes from the twins!" Excuse me! I have the urge to shop! AND quite frankly, I don't like they style of the clothes the twins wear! I think I have the right to spend MY money on MY DD anyway I see fit! AND I don't need to hear the passive aggressive comments from MIL anymore! Sheesh...that feels good to get off of my chest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"