Baby Showers
Options

Worried about my shower

Tell me if I'm being crazy.

My shower is 11/8 and (yes, I admit) I stalked my registery.

1 small item has been purchased.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but obviously the shower gifts would be a big help. My mom (host) asked guests for both a book (instead of a card) and is holding a diaper raffle. I'm afraid with all these special requests, there won't be any other gifts!

Anyone with a similar experience?

The Journey of a Thousand Miles begins with One Step.

1998 Ovarian Cancer Survivor. 7 Miscarriages: 6w, 13w2d, 4w2d, 7w4d (DD's twin), 5w. Failed Tubal after c/s (!!): 5w2d, 6w4d

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Worried about my shower

• Options
    My shower is the same day, and I've had 1 gift purchased and already mailed to my house, and the other is one I didn't register for, that popped on my registry as purchased.  So I don't know if they didn't like what I had picked and decided to get what they wanted...But I'm not too worried...all I know is that I've had about 10 people tell me their making baby blankets for me.  So at least I know she'll be warm this winter Big Smile
  • Options
    You and I both. I swear I keep thinking I must have registered for all the wrong things or BRU just doesn't update their registry if someone purchases something from it. I'm trying to not be worried but in the back of my mind...I'm totally thinking it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Its a bit surprising since this baby is the first baby in our immediate family..... everyone kept making such a big deal that they wanted to be the "first" to shop off my registry. The pressure was so much, we registered earlier than we normally might have b/c of all the phone calls tell us to "hurry up already!"

Then my mom turns around and says, "I'll wait and buy whatever is left." Huh? Indifferent

I'm trying not to expect anything, but then why all the pressure to register?

1998 Ovarian Cancer Survivor. 7 Miscarriages: 6w, 13w2d, 4w2d, 7w4d (DD's twin), 5w. Failed Tubal after c/s (!!): 5w2d, 6w4d

• Options
    I had my shower last weekend, Sunday, and I checked my registry Saturday night and there was still a lot not bought but then Sunday at my shower I pretty much got everything on my registry.  A lot of people just waited until the morning of to go shopping...don't worry!  You will get plenty!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

First, a lot of people put off shopping to the last minute (guilty).

Second, I've been hearing a lot of stories about stuff not being taken off registries as they are being purchased. 

Third, I was told by a friend that if I wanted people to buy off the registry do not tell anyone what LO is before the shower.  She regrets telling people what she was having because 90% of what she got at her showers were clothes.  Cute, yes.  But a lot of work to return/exchange items because she needed crib sheets and bottles more than 57 cute pink dresses.  That helped decide to stay team green (and she's going bonkers because she wants to know what I am having - lol.

TTC since 2005. DS via IVF - 02/10 Baby #2 - due 10/16/11
  • Options
    imageseniah_05:

Second, I've been hearing a lot of stories about stuff not being taken off registries as they are being purchased. 

Third, I was told by a friend that if I wanted people to buy off the registry do not tell anyone what LO is before the shower.  She regrets telling people what she was having because 90% of what she got at her showers were clothes.  Cute, yes.  But a lot of work to return/exchange items because she needed crib sheets and bottles more than 57 cute pink dresses.  That helped decide to stay team green (and she's going bonkers because she wants to know what I am having - lol.

This is a neat way to avoid registry madness! However, most of my stuff is pink! LOL!!!

Now worries to the OP. My shower is also Nov 8th and last I checked only one item had been purchased. Sadly, a lot of people don't even buy from the registry! My DH and I put so much effort into ours. I am guilty of not buying from others registry. However, seeing how much work it is... I will try my best to always buy from it! I am sure your shower will be great!  

• Options
    I've been to two showers lately and I didn't buy a gift until the day before or so. 
  • Options
    so we are all on the same page basically. wondering why things are not being purchased and the shower is weeks away(me 11/14), what do we do. I know I will suggest to anyone that gets pregnant after me or if I have another, not to put a registry up until the last minute. I have had tons of people ask me, but only three things purchased and 2 was hangers and dividers that I purchased myself.  i hope this picks up, to think I made to registries.Embarrassed
  • Options

I appreciate your registry is what you *need*, but please don't have high expectations of your guests after all as you say, diapers can be $20-40 a box and a book maybe $10? I wouldn't expect anyone to spend more than that.

I hope you have a lovely day, and remember all baby needs is a bed to sleep in, warmth, food and love. Anything other than that is a bonus!!

• Options

imageMrsHub:
    I know I will suggest to anyone that gets pregnant after me or if I have another, not to put a registry up until the last minute.
    Why?  Whats your logic on this?  Because people will buy last minute, you're going to put it up last minute?  That doesn't make sense to me.

Here's what I often do- once I get an invitation, I'll look online to see if they are registered, or what they are registered for.  To determine if it looks like they have registered for stuff in my price range.

Then, much closer to the shower, I'll actually go and buy what I awnt to buy.

I think waiting to put your registry up is only going to result in less people buyingn off of it.  And regardless, what about the people who do buy ahead of time?  even if only 2 things are purchased, if you wait to put your registry up, right there are 2 less things that may be bought off it!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageMrsHub:
    i hope this picks up, to think I made to registries.Embarrassed
    A registry is a list of things that YOU need to provide for your child.  If your friends and family choose to help you with that, great, but it's not their responsibility.
  • Options
    imageseniah_05:

not my experience at all.  I got most of my registry taken care of plus tons of clothes. 

In my experience, people wait until the weekend of the shower to purchase stuff....that's my BRU has a wrapping station at the front of the store :-)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of other gifts.  Your mom has already asked people to bring two gifts (a book and some diapers).  I would be surprised if most people brought anything besides some other token items.  I say this because most people have a set amount of money they spend for baby showers.  It may be $20, $25, $50, etc.  You are already at at least $10 with the diapers and a book.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageWorcbride:
    imageseniah_05:

not my experience at all.  I got most of my registry taken care of plus tons of clothes. 

In my experience, people wait until the weekend of the shower to purchase stuff....that's my BRU has a wrapping station at the front of the store :-)

This is actually fairly accurate for my experience...However I've only had 1 of my 2 showers so far....Everyone went pink nuts which hey, baby girl needs clothes just as much as anything else on that registry of ours so I'll just be using the $ we saved not buying clothes and buying some of the extras on my registry....(but we weren't given too many impractical clothing options either which I was soooo grateful for!  People checked sizes and made best guesses for seasons/sizes lineups which I had heard horror story after horror story on!)

All-in-all, people who do buy from registries often buy late but have probably looked at it already making a 'game plan'...We built our registry more to track our own, 'what do we still need to get' than what our guests should get us...The mindset is really more helpful to you and reduces panic.  GL!  Have an awesome shower!!

• Options
    imageWorcbride:
    imageseniah_05:

Am I the only one who thinks you're a pretty big jerk if you return a bunch of GIFTS that people took the time to pick out for you, just to get the money and buy other stuff?  What happened to appreciating the thought?

Anyway...to the OP...yes, people do shop last minute.  And some forget to have stuff taken off the registry.  But yes, I also think that your moms requests MIGHT be a problem to some people.  Here,  I think the cheapest pack of diapers is 14$, and that's for a no-name brand.  So if I didn't want to look cheesey, I might buy the smallest brand-name pack for 18$, and a book would be at LEASt 5$, so we're already at 23...the remaining part of my gift would be fairly small.

TTC #1 for one year with annovulation....
    Clomid Cycle #1: 50mg = BFP
    =Beautiful baby girl born May 23, 2009
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    TTC#2: BFP Cycle #1, no fertility meds!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekimbalaya4ever@hotmail.com:

I appreciate your registry is what you *need*, but please don't have high expectations of your guests after all as you say, diapers can be $20-40 a box and a book maybe $10? I wouldn't expect anyone to spend more than that.

I hope you have a lovely day, and remember all baby needs is a bed to sleep in, warmth, food and love. Anything other than that is a bonus!!

I don't really have high expectations, but like I said before, I was literally fielding phone calls week after week from certain friends/family begging me to start the registry. My mom was in tears over some of the drama that came out of this -- so I'm sitting here wondering what happened to these "eager beavers".

Honestly, I kept my mouth shut about the book request and "optional" diaper raffle because I worried about this very thing. The fact is, I wanted my mom to know I was grateful and not complain about how she wanted to throw the party.

I'm just concerned that we won't get any "extras" like the carseat and will have to buy many expensive things at the last minute.

Oh, and most items on my registry are priced between $2.49 - $40

• Options
    imageWorcbride:
    imageseniah_05:

THIS!  That's how I've done most of my baby shower shopping.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"