New York Babies

Feeling Helpless...

Hello.. I'm new here as I happily found out I was Pregnant last week.  I believe I'm entering my 5th week and have no clue on where to make my prenatal appts. whose affiliated with a good hospital and I can't ask anyone about this as its too early to announce my pregnancy... so I turn to my fellow community here.   My sister in law had the best hospital in upstate NY which is too far from me as I live in Queens.  I thought all birthing centers would be just as pretty, clean, and with great care, but years later after visiting my other sister in law at NYU in midtown on the Eastside, I am scared that I won't.  My sister in law at NYU had the opposite experience and I am nervious about choosing a hospital either in Queens or in Manhattan.  I'm seeing a lot of negative comments for a lot of the city hospitals and wondered which ones are nice and clean and treat you with great care and has nice rooms.  Anyone have suggestions/good experiences?  So once I figure out the hospital, I can then find a OB that is affiliated there, right?   I am so lost and new to this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Feeling Helpless...

• My OB is a group practice in Forest Hills on Austin Street. It's called Raveco Medical. I've been going there for gyn for 5 years and like them.

My friend had one baby with them and is about to have her second with them soon. They are affiliated with North Shore Hospital. I believe you can deliver in the Manhasset hospital which is very nice (visited a different friend there) and Forest Hills hospital which is where I will be going since it's conveniently located halfway between my home and job (which is in Manhattan).

If you decide to see them my gyn is a CNM named Janet Titmus. For pernatal work, so far, I've seen her and Stephen Ravins and liked him as well. My friend sees Claudia Ravins and loves her but she is harder to get appts with.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Mt. Sinai & Cornell the best - the dr.'s there are the best & so are the facilities & support they offer in the maternity ward (some hospitals don't even have lactation consultants, etc.).

My dr. delivers at Mt. Sinai & I love her - Dr. Brightman at Eastside Ob-gyn.  It's an all-female practice, & they make you see all 4 dr.'s there throughout your pregnancy.  A lot of women I know ended up having a stranger deliver them because their dr. was delivering someone else, on vacation, etc.  At Eastside, you get to know & feel comfortable with all of the dr.'s.   

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much for the two replies and have looked into them.  I am now deciding between Mt. Sinai and St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital.  Congrats to all the new mommies.
  • be careful with Roosevelt - I had 2 friends deliver there & they weren't happy at all - they said the nurses weren't friendly & it was very crowded...
  • I had my son at Beth Israel Med. Ctr. on 16th & 1st and couldn't have been happier with them. The nurses were wonderful and attentive and the NICU (my son was premature) was staffed with the most caring and dedicated nurses. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I was born there as were 8 of my 10 siblings and all but one of my sister's children were born there as well.

St. Vincent's in the village is also a very good hospital.

You also need to consider your insurance and what they cover. Not all hospitals may take your ins. 

• I'm having my son at Long Island Jewish in New Hyde Park, about 15 minutes away from my apartment in Queens. My doctor is Dr. Stacey Charnes on Yellowstone Blvd in Forest Hills and I really like her, although some people think she is a bit cold. (I think she is perfectly nice, though!) 

If you want, check out the link to my blog, Queens Mama, below.  If you click on the Doctors and Hospitals link on the right, I've written a bit about Dr. Charnes, LIJ childbirth classes, my original OB in Manhattan (who I thought was crazy), etc. 

We actually had to stop our childbirth class series at LIJ b/c DH got sick, but we're starting up again next month and I'll be sure to write a post about the maternity ward there as soon as we take our tour!

Edit: DH got sick from a bad cold, NOT from the childbirth class!  Lol. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageAbsoluteLM:

I'm having my son at Long Island Jewish in New Hyde Park, about 15 minutes away from my apartment in Queens. My doctor is Dr. Stacey Charnes on Yellowstone Blvd in Forest Hills and I really like her, although some people think she is a bit cold. (I think she is perfectly nice, though!) 

If you want, check out the link to my blog, Queens Mama, below.  If you click on the Doctors and Hospitals link on the right, I've written a bit about Dr. Charnes, LIJ childbirth classes, my original OB in Manhattan (who I thought was crazy), etc. 

We actually had to stop our childbirth class series at LIJ b/c DH got sick, but we're starting up again next month and I'll be sure to write a post about the maternity ward there as soon as we take our tour!

Edit: DH got sick from a bad cold, NOT from the childbirth class!  Lol. 

This. I saw the same ob/gyn. She is fantastic. The whole practice is really amazing.  LIJ is a great hospital and the nurses did everything for my comfort and for the baby's comfort. Really support breastfeeding. Highly recommended from me. They were also the ones that caught my blood clot. Saved me and did everthing to help when I was elevated to high risk pregnancy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"