Trouble TTC

Questions... (long)

So I posted on here in April and took the great advice everyone gave me.  Background: I went off birth control last August and didn't get my period until the doctor prescribed progesterone in April to induce it. (I've never been regular and went on birth control to regulate my cycle when I was in college).   I told the doctor I was trying to conceive and was concerned that I wasn't ovulating because I never got my period.  She told me that just because I wasn't getting my period didn't mean I wasn't ovulating.  Her treatment plan was to keep trying (and often- since I could O at any time) and come back for my yearly in Sept to see how things were going.  

I took the advice of the ladies on here and got a new doctor, read TCOYF and started charting.  Based on my chart, I never ovulated from April to September, never got my period and when I told my new doctor this he ordered lots of tests to figure out what was going on.  I found out on monday that I probably have PCOS.  My bloodwork came back ok but he did an ultrasound and I had tons of cysts on my ovaries so he's pretty sure I have PCOS.  He put me on progesterone and clomid and I started the progesterone on Monday night.  

I was so excited to finally have an answer and a possible treatment!  BUT... after reading some of these posts I'm worried.  Should I be going to an RE to get a second opinion and see if there's something else to try  before clomid?  I've been trying to research success rates with clomid for people with PCOS as well since I don't want to have a false sense of hope.  

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Megan 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Questions... (long)

• I was also just diagnosed with PCOS after no af when I stopped bcp. My gyn ordered a bunch of tests, which led to this diagnosis, but once he made it he referred me to an RE. I had my first RE appt today and felt so much more comfortable knowing I'm dealing with professionals who work with people like me all of the time. They took a long time to do a very thorough history on me. If you can see an RE, I'd recommend it to ensure that you are getting the most proper treatment/monitoring available.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagest.augbride:
    I was also just diagnosed with PCOS after no af when I stopped bcp. My gyn ordered a bunch of tests, which led to this diagnosis, but once he made it he referred me to an RE. I had my first RE appt today and felt so much more comfortable knowing I'm dealing with professionals who work with people like me all of the time. They took a long time to do a very thorough history on me. If you can see an RE, I'd recommend it to ensure that you are getting the most proper treatment/monitoring available.

I'm in the same situation.  I went off of BCP in May 2009 and haven't had AF since aside from 3 days of light bleading after Prometrium.  My OBGYN told me she thought I have PCOS based on my history, but didn't do an u/s...I have had one in the past that uncovered possible polycystic ovaries but was never dx.  DH and I have our first RE appointment tommorrow afternoon. I'm a little nervous about it Tongue Tied, but at the same time I'll be happy to get some more answers and find out what our options are.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I would see an RE....There are definitely things to consider along with and/or before clomid but it depends on your particular situation. A lot of OBs just hand out clomid but don't look at the overall picture....like metformin can help prevent miscarriages, etc.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I am a doctor and have a great OBGYN. When I had TTTC #2 I initially went to her.  After 2 m/cs and several months of secondary IF I decided to see an RE.  Everything was so monitored at the RE's office that I felt much more secure about my possible success rate.  I still love my OBGYN and she knows that I went to an RE and we still have a great doc/patient and colleague relationship.  OBGYNs can be very helpful but when dealing with IF problems if you have REs near you then I would go to an RE.  Good luck.
  • I don't have any experience with PCOS, but spent a long time trying under my OB/gyn's care before switching to an RE.  My advice is to go to an RE.  Obgyn's are not experts in infertility issues and yours could be missing something or encouraging you to spend longer waiting on a particular treatment than necessary. 
    TTC #1,
    IUI #1: December 2008 - BFN
    IVF #1: Microdose Lupron - July 2009; only got 1 egg; BFN
    IVF #2: Natural IVF - Sept 2009; BFP!; D&C Nov. 2009
    IVF #3: Natural IVF - ER: Feb 4, 2010 - 1 "M2" egg retrieved; ET: Feb 9; Beta#1 (19dpo): 2567; Beta #2: 6933; BFP w/ singleton w/strong hrtbt! DS born October 2010
    TTC#2
    IVF #4: Natural IVF - ER: Nov. 20, 2011; ET: Nov. 25, 2011; BFP! Beta#1 (19dpo): 1918; Saw hrtbt on 12/28/11!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"