Baby Names
Options

Jackson...popular?

This is my first post on this board.  DH and I love the nn Jack, but we don't think it stands alone very well as a first name.  We somewhat agreed on Jackson a couple of months ago, but when I mentioned it to my mom, she thought it is going become huge this year with Michael Jackson's death.  I don't want people thinking it is a tribute name, and if it becomes too popular I think that will be the assumption.  What is your opinion?  Any other suggestions for a nn of Jack?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Jackson...popular?

• Options
    Jackson is becoming more popular but I don't think it is because of Michael  Jackson. It still isn't one of the top names so I think you would be ok if that is what you are worried about. Jax is also popular lately.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Jackson has been a popular boy's name for a while-it was #32 on the SSA list for 2008, and that was before Michael Jackson passed away, so that's a nonissue. People definitely won't be assuming your name choice has to do with that.

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with Jack a full name, that is also popular. I can't think of another name that would go with it, unless you named him John and called him Jack-people used to do before that before it became so popular as just a stand alone name. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't think Jackson is popular because of Michael Jackson, actually it makes me giggle.

I do think Jackson is way popular, as well as just Jack.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I know 5 little boys under the ages of 4 with the name Jackson/Jack. It is definitely very popular in my area. If you really like Jack but don't want to use Jackson you could always go with John nn Jack.
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    I named one of my dogs Jackson about 6 years ago. I absolutely LOVE that name, especially Jack for short. My mom who just moved to KS told me NOT to name my son Jackson because it is sooooo popular in the mid west. But who cares, if you love it go w/ it.
  • Options
    Jackson is ridiculously popular and super trendy. I love Jack and think it's a classic. You could also use John with Jack as NN because Jack is a traditional NN for John.
  • Options

imageFutureMrs.Steen:
    Jackson is ridiculously popular and super trendy. I love Jack and think it's a classic. You could also use John with Jack as NN because Jack is a traditional NN for John.

agree totally

• Options
    I think Jack names are really popular right now, but if you love go with it.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I really love the name Jackson, my DH thinks it is too popular.  It is one of our tops picks as names.  DH also mentioned the Michael Jackson, thing and I told him that I didn't think naming our son Jackson would make anyone thing it has anything to do with Michael Jackson.

Good luck!  This naming thing is hard!Confused

• Options
    Jackson is popular enough in its own right that I don't think anyone will assume you have named your son after Michael Jackson.  I love the name, but since my name and DH's both begin with J, we're hesistant to use it.
  • Options
    Jackson is very popular right now
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I do not associate this with MJ but I have always loved this name.
  • Options
    I like the name Jack/Jackson, and I certainly don't associate it with Michael Jackson at all!  That said, I think name popularity depends on your network of family and friends...we know about 5 Jack/Jacksons so it's out for us.
  • Options
    Jackson is the most popular boy name where I am.  It's kind of insane how many there are right now!
  • Options
    I love love Jackson for the obvious reason. We don't call him Jack. If you like it go for it!  Big Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"