High-Risk Pregnancy

Pre-E question

I had pre-e in my previous pregnancy and now several weeks ago I started to have high BP and I'm on medication for that. During last week my BP started going up again and I've had continuous headache since Wednesday to which no medication has helped (I even got 2 presc. meds for that). Today my right shoulder started to hurt and my right hand feels a little numb. My last two BP readings were 138/88 and then 156/92.

I called my doctor and she said she has never even heard about right shoulder pain being related to pre-e.

What kind of symptoms have you ladies had when you've had pre-e?

Re: Pre-E question

• I'm going to take you down a different path.  Not that I'm an MD or anything close, but have you ever had any issues with your gall bladder?  Gall bladder issues are very common in pregnancy, and one of the common symptoms is right shoulder pain and numbness down your right arm.  Depending on your pain level, your BP could be high because of the pain.  
  • I was told when I was in the hospital for Pre-E that shoulder pain was very worrisome. It can be a sign of things getting a little more severe. I found this on the Preeclampsia Foundation website:

Stomach and/or Right Shoulder Pain

This type of stomach pain, called epigastric pain by the medical profession, is usually under the right-side ribs. It can be confused with heartburn, gallbladder problems, flu, indigestion or pain from the baby kicking. Shoulder pain is often called referral pain because it radiates from the liver under the right ribs. Lower back pain is different from muscle strain common to pregnancy. It is usually more acute and specific. All may be a sign of HELLP Syndrome or a related problem in the liver. Shoulder pain can feel like someone is deeply pinching you along the bra strap, or it can be painful to lie on your right side.

What you can do...

Pain in this area should be taken very seriously; do not dismiss it and go to bed. Call your health professional immediately.

I would have bloodwork done to make sure everything is ok. Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • I'd say with the pain and those readings, your doc should be a little more concerned especially since you've had pre-e before. Have you had any protein in your urine?

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm with Jenny...those BP readings are quite high, especially if you're on meds.  I had Pre-E with my first, and my doctor put me on baby aspirin therapy 3 weeks ago when my BP hit 125/90 (which was up from 110/75).  Given my history with Pre-E he wasn't taking any chances.  When my BP hit 156/105 with my first, my doc ordered an induction (I was 3 days overdue at that point).  I would put some pressure on the doctor and maybe even get a second opinion.  Not something to feel around with!
  • imagemrs.ladybug:

I had pre-e in my previous pregnancy and now several weeks ago I started to have high BP and I'm on medication for that. During last week my BP started going up again and I've had continuous headache since Wednesday to which no medication has helped (I even got 2 presc. meds for that). Today my right shoulder started to hurt and my right hand feels a little numb. My last two BP readings were 138/88 and then 156/92.

I called my doctor and she said she has never even heard about right shoulder pain being related to pre-e.

What kind of symptoms have you ladies had when you've had pre-e?

I'm going through the same thing I see my OB now almost every 2 weeks.

My BP meds have been switched twice and the migranes are getting worse I wake up with them and have to deal with it nothing works and i' going insane. Never thought of the numb thing until now I get that through out the day just thought it was because I am not up walking around like I would normally do.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"