Working Moms

other social activities for kids w/ nannies

We are currently in a nanny share and I couldn't be happier after previous bad experiences w/ home DCPs.  The other baby is 2 months younger than DS (he's one year, other baby is 10 mos).  Apparently they are like 2 peas in a pod and play together all day and get upset when separated at the end of the day.  Problem is that the other boy's parents are going to put him in daycare this winter due to economic issues.  Now DS will be alone with the nanny.  I had a mild concern that perhaps he would get bored and miss seeing other kids, but my DH dismissed it saying that he would go to story time and indoor play places with the nanny and see other kids then.  But our nanny also brought up this week that she is worried that he will miss playing with other kids on a regular basis.  She offered to drop him off and pick him up from a mother's day out or other program a couple of days a week, and not charge us for the time that he is there.  How concerned would you be about your 1 year old going from always having at least one playmate around, to being just with the nanny?  I've thought about maybe signing them up for some gymboree or kindermusik classes, but I'm feeling a bit guilty as all the descriptions of the classes talk about how they build on parent-child bonding (and I'd never be taking him).  Perhaps I should look for play groups for her to join?

Any advice or experience is greatly appreciated! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: other social activities for kids w/ nannies

• I think gymboree would be a good idea. I know there will be other nannies there. I am going to have my nanny taken DS when he is older.
  • Do you have a Y near you?  Our sitter takes my daughter to classes there 3 days a week.  (She's one of two kids at the sitter- the other is my niece)
  • Loading the player...
  • I think the gymboree/kindermusik and other classes is a great route to take. You so shouldn't feel guilty about not being there as the mom. From listening to my SAHM friends, I know there are plenty of kids in daytime classes w/ nannies. You can look into other play groups as well, but I would also assume that your nanny knows of other nannies in the area at this point and would take the initiative to join up on her own. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

We're going through something similar right now b/c once the baby comes it doesn't make financial sense to have 2 in a center so we'll have to switch to a nanny. I've been upset at times that DD won't be in her classroom with all the other kids, but I know the nannies spend plenty of time at parks and running into each other that it's not like DD will be totally isolated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am somewhat of a lurker on here, but I think I can help.  I'm actually a nanny.  I use to be a first grade teacher, but because of all the garbage that was going on in my school.. I left.  (LONG STORY)  Anyway, I check out the bump sometimes for ideas to use with my job.

The little boy I nanny for is almost 4 now, but was a young 2 when I started.  The nanny before me was with him for over a year and she brought her son with her.  So it was basically the same situation as your son is in.  The two were about 6 months a part and like brothers.  She left because she was having a second baby and couldn't take on all three.

From personal experience, my little guy didn't show any signs of being bored or having issues with missing his friend.  I'm sure he did miss him at first, but there was no bad behavior, tears, signs of distress, etc.  A year later he doesn't even remember who his friend was (and he remembers EVERYTHING).  Since your son is so much younger, I doubt he will have any issues.

There are a TON of things your nanny could do to have your son around other children.  We go somewhere every day!  I have two and a half pages of ideas of age appropriate things to do.  Obviously it will be different depending on where you live, but there are a lot of options out there.  Plus, your son is still young....

We've done The Little Gym, We Joy Sing, Locker Soccer (starts at age 2), library story times, metro park programs (year round), the zoo, science museum, art museum, Barnes and Noble story times, Pottery Barn Kids story times (plus you get a coupon after 5 visits), Fire House museum, water fountains and splash pads in the summer, parks, farms--to pick strawberries, apples, pumpkins, etc., coffee house that has kids concerts, Rec Centers (we go to two different ones that have open gyms for babies on up to 5 yr olds), conservatory, pet stores, and we have some indoor play areas.  There are so many more options that are area specific.  You just have to research your area.  Your son can get lots of interaction with other kids.  Plus, if your nanny starts going to some classes she will meet other moms and nannies.  We have play dates ALL the time.  We have people come over or we meet them out.  

On top of that, we are always doing art projects, educational games/workbooks, etc.  He stays busy.  Plus, it's good for him to just play by himself for a little bit too.  It will help develop his imagination.

Trust me when I say, that if you have a great nanny.... your son will be JUST fine! :)

Hope that helps

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I started gymboree classes with LO when I was home on mat leave.  Now, the nanny takes him b/c LO enjoyed the classes so much that I wanted him to continue in that experience.  I do try to meet LO and nanny at the 5:45 class once a week, but it's hard to make that class.  My DH pushed back at the idea of sending LO to gymboree with the nanny, as he felt like we'd be paying double childcare for those hours.  Nonsense!  Our gymboree also has weekend activities, so I feel like we can sometimes get use of the membership as a family (though we've not taken advantage of those yet!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"