Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Why does this keep getting repeated?

So many people on here have been regurgitating this quote "if you TTC too soon after a m/c or D&C, they won't be able to date the pregnancy." 

.... it's bullchit. You can measure a baby that's been around for mere days/weeks. I've had u/s's  at 5 weeks (which is technically only an embryo that's been around about a week to ten days) and they can measure those milimeters and say how old the baby is within a day or two. 6-7 weeks they can pinpoint your conception date and due date with great accuracy.  There's just no way a tech is going to sit there stumped and say "gee, I sure wish you didn't try to get pregnant right away, now I have NO idea if you're 5 weeks or 5 months! gosh!"   :::shaking head:::: (but they ARE going to possibly freak out at how thin your lining is, and wonder if baby will stick, if you didn't give your body time to physically heal for 2-3 months post d&c. natural m/c is not such a concern)

If someone has medical literature that says otherwise, I would LOVE to see it, and I will eat these words. Otherwise the next person that says it better take it back, or if "my doctor said so" they best give me their doc's phone number so I can slap them. It's silly talk.

(this is not directed at anyone in particular, MANY people have repeated this idea, it's like the MC Board Urban Legend or something)

This concludes today's rant.  

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence

Re: Why does this keep getting repeated?

• Options
    Ehh, with 2 of my mc's, the first sign was the embryo measuring behind on an early u/s. So to me, it would be helpful to be able to compare the u/s measurement to LMP date.
  • Options

imageColindaP:
    Ehh, with 2 of my mc's, the first sign was the embryo measuring behind on an early u/s. So to me, it would be helpful to be able to compare the u/s measurement to LMP date.

This. seems to me knowing when your last AF and when you ovulated would help to know if the baby is developing as it should, especially in the beginning. 

Started TTC - 01/2009 1st BFP - 09/04/09,1st u/s - 10/06/09- no heartbeat seen, D&E - 10/13/09 BFP #2 - 2/12/10, m/c 2/17/10 BFP #3 - 01/03/11 m/c 01/10/11 BFP #4 - 02/21/11 DS born 10/13/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

ok, I get that. I guess not everyone is obsessed with their cycle as I am, or some are. I forget that.

However, not every slow-to-start baby ends up bad. so in MY mind, it's still a silly statement.  ;-)

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Options
    I do see your point, not knowing your LMP or O date is not the end all of knowing how far along the baby is. It's just helpful to know for some.
    Started TTC - 01/2009 1st BFP - 09/04/09,1st u/s - 10/06/09- no heartbeat seen, D&E - 10/13/09 BFP #2 - 2/12/10, m/c 2/17/10 BFP #3 - 01/03/11 m/c 01/10/11 BFP #4 - 02/21/11 DS born 10/13/2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This baby was always measuring very off, and I did not have an AF in between our early loss in Sept and this one. The dates never matched up, and that was my clue that something was very wrong. It did make it harder for them to track where I was since the previous period had really been a miscarriage.
  • Options
    Don't take this personally, but I think that I will listen to my health care providers over an internet stranger any day.  Now maybe if you posted a link to the research you have read that would be different, I could read that and come to my own conclusion. 
    Brenna Married 4.30.05

Mom to Teagan 4.11.07 and Cora 9.30.11

imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

D&E @ 22w 9.30.09 CMV infection BFP 10.15.10 C/P 4w4d

• Options

I see what OP is saying about how you can measure and embryo/fetus/sac or whathaveyou as early as 5 weeks.  But lets just say that by dates you should be 7 weeks and the baby is measuring 5 weeks, that is not necessarily a good thing. 

Our baby was measuring behind, and we had an m/c, so I think I am in the camp with PPs that you want to make sure that the baby's measurements and your dates are concordant. 

BFP 8/18/09 cycle #7
    Missed m/c 9/16/09 (7w6d, baby measuring 6w1d)
    D&E 9/25/09 at 9w1d
    BFP 11/25/09 1st cycle after D&E
    DS born @36w2d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ~~~Labor Buddy to And Ketch~~~ BFPB to LoveBeingAWife33008

• Options
    This is one of the many reasons that I'm hugely in favor of charting your BBT. It answers so many questions and makes dating a pregnancy simple.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"