Working Moms

Inhome DCP christmas present ?

I am a in home DCP and last year each parent got me a gift at christmas which I wasn't prepared for.  So this year I was wondering if I should get each kid a little something like a book or something small or do I get something for the family since the gifts come from the family.  What do you expect from your DCP?

Re: Inhome DCP christmas present ?

• Honestly, I doubt they would expect anything from you. Maybe help each kid make a cute little craft for the parents? My DS goes to a center and we don't get anything more than that... I don't think it would be different for an in-home provider. They are thanking you for taking care of their kids... they don't expect anything other than a thank you in return.
  • imageJodiandMickey:
    Honestly, I doubt they would expect anything from you. Maybe help each kid make a cute little craft for the parents? My DS goes to a center and we don't get anything more than that... I don't think it would be different for an in-home provider. They are thanking you for taking care of their kids... they don't expect anything other than a thank you in return.

I totally agree. The little crafts are always sweet. We used an in-home provider at one point and I would never have expected gifts from her. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • although i would never expect it, our in-home provider always gives us a little something for a holiday (like a bib for halloween), but she also gives us a cute craft. while the little gifts are nice, the crafts are my favorite!

as for the parents giving you gifts, i think that's normal. we're giving our DCP a "bonus" at the end of the year in the form of a spa gift certificate. but she goes above and beyond with being flexible and has a very reasonable daily rate.

• Our in home provider gives each kid a book for their birthday and Christmas.  She also takes pictures and gives us a collage of the kid pictures.   I don't expect anything but I do love the pictures.  
  • I doubt they expect anything.  You are providing a service to them (a very important service).  I give xmas gifts to my hairdresser and cleaning lady and don't expect them to reciprocate.  I feel like it's kind of the same thing. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am planning on giving our DCP some sort of gift for Christmas (spa gift card or something nice) but am not expecting any kind of gift from her.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ok I disagree with everyone. :) I am also an in-home childcare provider and I can't imagine NOT giving them anything.  These children are such a big part of my life and I see them everyday (or atleast a couple times per week) and I don't see why I would buy for all the other important people in my life, but not them...

When I was a teacher, I would always buy my students a little present, which would be $25-40 out of my own pocket, but it was worth seeing them excited about it. :)  And my DCP for DD when I taught last year did not buy anything for her, and honestly I was a little disappointed...

I bought each of my kids a nice book already, but I will probably go buy them all another little tiny toy to go with it.  I was planning to do a little christmas party for them and they can open them together.  I'm already excited about it!  :)

• I agree that the best thing would be for you to help each kid make a card or present for their parents. Fun for the kids and the parents will love it. I would never expect our nanny to give me a present.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers image
  • My in home DCP our first full year with her gave us a book for Christmas.  Not one she bought though...she made it like a story with pictures of DS.  It was how he spends his days and written in the first person.  For example, "Mommy and daddy, my day starts with breakfast each morning, and my absolute favorite thing Maria gives me is rice with milk.  I am learning to use the spoon but still spill a lot and tend to be messy, but I get better everyday."  Another one was about his first birthday.  It talked about how much him and his friends enjoyed the cupcakes I baked.  There were many more!

It was a great gesture, an item I will treasure for years to come.  It was printed on 8.5 x 11 paper, and bound with three staples, so fairly simple design, but it showed me how much he has grown over the past year, what they work on in daycare, and showed me how much he meant to her.

For her, I always gave cash as a gift at the holidays.  I figured she always traveled home to Spain to visit family and that would be something she could surely use!

BabyFetus Ticker
    Our family is growing by two feet and we couldn't be happier!  
    BFP 6/12/14, EDD 2/20/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Kylee Elizabeth 11/19/09
    Shane Edward 8/18/06

Married the love of my life 1/7/06

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"