Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How much milk do you get when you pump?

I just have a manual pump and I always barely get 1 ounce, pathetic! I pump once a day, nurse AND give formula. He drinks formula more than breastmilk but I was wondering if it was necessary to get an electric (even if it's just a single electric pump) if I pump once a day. Maybe it'll help get more milk out? So how much milk do you get when you pump? And is it manual or electric?
TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy

Re: How much milk do you get when you pump?

• Today I got 2 oz pumping both sides for 20 minutes (I have the Medela Freestyle)

I wish I were getting more but LO is cluster feeding and he tends to suck me dry

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have and electric pump and I get about 6-8oz from one pumping session. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKellyinpink:
    I have and electric pump and I get about 6-8oz from one pumping session. 

I'm jealous.  How long of a session?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
  • I can get as much as 3 oz each side if I pump for 20 min with an electric pump. But sometimes I only get and 1 oz (mostly during the day when I am also BFing)

?

I have the Lansolin pump, cheaper than medela, but works just fine.?

• I just pumped one side and got 3oz. Could have gotten more but I just wanted to relieve the engorgement and leave some in case DD woke up.. That was w/ the Medela PISA (electric).

I don't remember what I got at first w/ #1, but by 6ish months I would pump 4 oz per side w/ my electric pump. I had to use a manual one while on vacation and it was horribly hard for me to get anything out... I barely could get an ounce and that was with DH trying to help, taking a hot shower to get things going, etc.. If you can afford it, I would buy the electric if you think you want to continue pumping once a day. Very worth it IMO. Everyone is different though..

CP 3/07
    BFP 5/07 - Kylie born 2/08.       BPF 2/09 - Alexandra born 10/09.
    TTC since 8/13 - diagnosed difficulty conceiving due to LP defect. Took vitamin B and Vitex Berry to help lengthen.
    BFP 2/14 - Missed M/C found at 8.5 weeks. D&C at 9w2d. Partial Molar Pregnancy.
    BFP 11/14
  • imagesmilelari:

imageKellyinpink:

I'm jealous.  How long of a session?

10-15 min. I have lots and lots of milk!Big Smile Sometimes I can pump even more then 8oz!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Wow, I'm jealous of all you girls! Now I feel worse about my measly 1 ounce.Embarrassed...and that's BOTH breasts.
    TTC#1=Feb 2009: 50 mg Clomid+Ovidrel shot+Metformin+Dexamethasone+TI=BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2=July 2011: Surprise BFP: Chemical Pregnancy
  • I have an electric one (Medela Pump In Style Advanced) and get between 2-3 oz each time. I pump 2-3 times a day, after LO feeds, for about 15-20 min. If you want to build your supply, let LO feed until their done and then pump after. May not get much at first, but it'll help your body think it needs to produce more for baby. Also, your milk is still regulating itself, so don't worry too much about amount right now. Just know, the more you nurse, the more you will supply.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Today I went 3 hours without out LO nursing and I pumped 4 ounces in 10 minutes with a manual pump. I was completely amazed. It's been getting more and more every day.
  • I get between 6-10 oz from both breasts combined per session.  Usually pump for about 10-15 min.
  • I get anywhere from 6-12oz. depending on when DS ate last and what time of day.  I swear my body thinks I had twins.  I didn't start pumping until 4 weeks.  Remember babies are much more efficient then pumps so it really doesn't reflect your supply. I would defiantly recommend an electric pump though if you are going to pump more then once a week.

• I get betweeen 6-9oz each 15 minute session.  I use the Medela Lactina, its electric and its the hospital grade one.  I get my Pump N Style on Wednesday.  I am worried about not getting as much when I go to the new pump because the hospital ones are stronger, we'll see.
  • I stop at 5oz per side, pump for 10-15 minutes. I have the Isis IQ (single electric).
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I get about 4-5 oz per side in a 20 minute elctric pump session. I have the Lansinoh double pump.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageKellyinpink:

This.  and with DD#1 i could get 9-10 per side in a 15 min session.

• First, pumping is a learned skill different from breastfeeding.  Your breasts will learn to respond to the pump in time (but a double electric should always net more milk than a single manual).

Second, you're barely past the milk coming in stage much less at the established milk supply stage like some of these ladies.  What someone gets 2 months postpartum does not reflect what you should get at 2 weeks postpartum.

and third, if you're pumping after your LO nurses 1 oz combined is great!  Remember you want your LO to get that milk and your LO is much more efficient than the pump.  The more you keep your LO on the breast, and not the pump, the better chances that your supply will increase to meet his needs.  If you really feel like you have to use the pump to increase your supply you can pump after every session of nursing but if you're going to do that I'd highly recommend a double electric.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a Lansinoh double electric pump and get 5-7 ounces (total) during 20 mins of pumping every 3-4 hours.
  • I agree with the pp that mentioned how milk supply 2 weeks postpartum is completely different than when your LO is 2 months. So you really have to take how old everyone's LO is when you're readin these replies. I have a Medela PISA (electric)and get 6-10bounces in the morning. However, my LO is 2 months old, and at 2 weeks postpartum, I was barely pumping 2 ounces/day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"