Baby Names
Options

Thoughts on our girl names...

We found out yesterday that we'll be having another little girl! Now on to the hard part of picking a name for her. Our DD's name is Mia. Our last name kind of sounds like "Clare-full".

Here are some of our ideas so far:

Isla- love this name...but everyone we mention it to looks at us like we grew another head

Lila- really like Lila but I'm a little afraid of it getting popular. However, I know it probably isn't going to take off in popularity the way Mia did

Lily- Our DD#1 was either going to be Lily or Mia. Lily is getting super popular, too.

Alaina- This name is new to our list. Like the nickname options & it's a little different without ALWAYS having to correct pronunciation.

Brooke- Like it...but think the "k" sound in our last name may make it sound silly.

Eve/Eva- I know this is silly but if we go with this name, we have two girls with really short names!

Maegan- We stayed near Magen's Bay during our honeymoon and fell in love with it. The name isn't the prettiest name on the list but it would have meaning to us.

Now that you know all of our thoughts, please give me any thoughts or suggestions.

Re: Thoughts on our girl names...

• Options
    I like Lily.  All of your names are very nice.  Isla is going to cause issues with pronunciation.
  • Options
    I really like Lila, but I prefer Lyla.  Lily and Ava are pretty, but super popular right now. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like Lily or Eva.
  • Options
    All of the names are beautiful, except Alaina is NMS.  Eva is our #1 right now!
  • Options
    i like brooke, or Magen and I would spell it just like your vacation spot.
    Mom to 2 beautiful girls, 3 yrs and 22 months old. My 2nd was born at 32 weeks due to Rhogam failure/severe complications from Rh disease and is our miracle. She has bilateral auditory neuropathy and a cochlear implant, activated 4/5/2012 at 19 months. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Based on your DD's age, Mia was already super popular before she was born. In 2006 it was 13 and that's actually higher than it is for 2008.

So, I don't know what your criteria is for super popular.

Anyway, if you really like Isla and Lily, Lila seems like the perfect compromise to me.

Maybe Lila Magen? I don't like Magen spelled a weird way for a FN. Even in your post you spelled it two different ways, so the likelihood of confusion is high.

I also like Eve, but I would use it as a NN for Eveyln or Evangeline or similar. 

• Options
    Mia & Meagan
  • Options
    Sorry I misread Eve/Eva as Ava.  Both of these are very pretty and classic ans not as popular right now.
  • Options
    I like really like Isla.  My next favorite would be Eva.
    My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I like Lily.

I think you'll have trouble with the pronunciation  of Maegan. I like Megan though, and I like Mae. Just a thought.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

I really like all of your names, don't love Maegan but I like the meaning.

Isla is my favorite, not sure why people would think it is weird.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options

Isla! Dont be afraid to go against the grain! Isla is a beautiful name!

~ My Crazy, Beautiful Life with 3~ Lachlan,Vito and Willa Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Eve is my favorite
    Anniversary
    BFP 7/6/11 Natural m/c 7/20/11 @ 6w2d
    BFP 9/25/11 Grow baby grow!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think Isla is so pretty and sounds the best with Mia
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love Isla...so pretty!
  • Options
    I say go with Maegan since it has meaning to the two of you.  And, I really like it.
  • Options
    imagenaflmj:

This exactly! I also don't know what people get confused about with the spelling/pronounciation. Have they never seen/heard the world island? Isla is a beautiful name and I would consider it if we have another girl after this one.

• Options
    imageNewMama2010:
    imagenaflmj:

This exactly! I also don't know what people get confused about with the spelling/pronounciation. Have they never seen/heard the world island? Isla is a beautiful name and I would consider it if we have another girl after this one.

Therein lies the issue.  There was a poll on this name on 2nd tri a while back, and apparently the correct pronunciation is "eye-lah" though there are some of us who use the Spanish pronunciation "ees-lah".

• Options
    Brooke is my favorite. Lily is another I like. Megan is great, but I strongly dislike the Maegan spelling. She will forever be correcting people. Isla will constantly be mispronounced. Lila is gaining popularity fast. I see this name everywhere! I can see it being the next Emma. Eva/Eva are just NMS at all. I don't care for Alaina. 
  • Options
    I like Isla and Lila.
    Sadie is not impressed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "This ribbon has been reported." - lovesnina
  • Options
    out of all of them I like Brooke the best
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I actually like Lila or Isla
  • Options
    I like Isla, Lila, Brooke and Maegan (though not sure of that spelling). If you're worried about Lila becoming too popular, I wouldn't even consider Eva then-- thats soooo popular right now. I think they're all pretty though, you can't go wrong!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My favorite from your list is Eva, which I don't think is really all that popular (114 last year), though some people may confuse it with the super-popular Ava.

However, my favorite with a sister named Mia is Isla, hands-down. Eva and Mia is just a little to rhymey for my liking, but Mia and Isla is a gorgeous sibset.

Lily is overused, IMO, and Brooke, Alaina and Maegan/Megan sound a bit dated to me.

I do love Elena, though, and think that would be lovely with Mia.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"