1st Trimester

Halloween Message for Moms & Future Moms

Please, for the love of all that is good, do NOT be one of these parents:

https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/431989/trick_or_treaters_lack_basic_manners.html?cat=25

DH has been the designated candy giver-outer tonight, & I think the way these greedy little thankless children have been acting has scared him even more about fatherhood.  I tried to explain to him that we will teach our child(ren) differently &, what's more, people like us have a DUTY to have children to try & outbreed this sort of rudeness!  ;) 

Now I know that no one here has children who are guilty of taking more candy than they should, & then not saying "thank you", but have you experienced this in your neighborhood, too?  And what would you say is the approximate percentage of kids who do this? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Halloween Message for Moms & Future Moms

• The article is a joke. She says "higher middle class; a place where kids should be receiving a good education", which is already an offensive hit on working class families, who can have just as good as an education as "upper middle class". Give me a break.

I agree that there are children that could afford to have discipline in their lives, but attempting to dictate that behavior while trick or treating by handing out different amounts of candy to the kids with "good manners" is hypocritical.

ETA: I live in a party of the city where there are minorities and under privledged children attend school, who visit our neighborhood for trick or treating, and I never have a problem with hearing "thank you" and "please." Said education has nothing to do it with it.

• imageemily0829:

The article is a joke. She says "higher middle class; a place where kids should be receiving a good education", which is already an offensive hit on working class families, who can have just as good as an education as "upper middle class". Give me a break.

Agreed!  And education does NOT = manners!  I guess I just got really upset to see DH so disheartened by the fact that every child (& there weren't many, but there also weren't any exceptions) who came by tried to take as much candy as possible & then proceed to not say "thank you".  The parents were standing right there.  Maddening! 

• Loading the player...
  • I just had 3 little girls, probably 6 or so, reach right in the bucket of candy and take their own (one grabbed one and then grabbed another piece). Not one of them said trick-or-treat and not ONE of them said thank you. Their parents were standing within good hearing distance too. I couldn't believe it! I understand kids forgetting but as the parent or adult, it is our duty to remind them so that it becomes a natural thing for them. My child(ren) will grow up with those manners and if they forget, Mommy and Daddy will be there reminding them of their manners. I want polite little children to become polite adults in society.
  • Oh, absolutley maddening, I'm sure! The ranting was about the article, not necessarily your post. You just have to remind yourself that your children will know the value of politeness and "please, thank you" etc.

• Agreed on education not equaling manners. That is sad though that there are parents our there that can't teach their kids how to be decent human beings. I don't get some people...
    Logan Jack- 6.1.10 and Emmett Weston- 9.29.12 

• My LO practiced saying "Trick or Treat" all week.  What happens when people open the door?  Silence.  LOL  She does say "Thank you" though.

Actually she is very polite and people are SO rude to her.  She will say "Hi" to people as we walk by and so many of them just ignore her.  Also, she often says to grown adults "Say 'thank you' me", or she will continually say "Thank you" until someone says "You're welcome".  Its these adults that raise disrespectful children.

You wouldnt believe how many big kids bowled her over to get to the candy dish faster tonight.

Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • DH is the best.  Really.  He has been so wonderful & supportive of everything I've done since we've been together, including TTC & now being KU.  But he's still really not enthused about the LO, so it kills me to see other kids acting like this in front of him.  :(    ::sigh::

Sorry you ladies have been witness to this as well.  And, I have no doubt our kids will be different!  :) 

• imageMrsAmyB:

My LO practiced saying "Trick or Treat" all week.  What happens when people open the door?  Silence.  LOL  She does say "Thank you" though.

Actually she is very polite and people are SO rude to her.  She will say "Hi" to people as we walk by and so many of them just ignore her.  Also, she often says to grown adults "Say 'thank you' me", or she will continually say "Thank you" until someone says "You're welcome".  Its these adults that raise disrespectful children.

You wouldnt believe how many big kids bowled her over to get to the candy dish faster tonight.

This is awful!!!  Your poor little pumpkin!  She sounds just as incredibly adorable as she looks!!!  This has to be so confusing for her.  Well, FWIW, THANK YOU for being such a good Mommy & raising such a sweet little girl.  :)

• imageMrsAmyB:

My LO practiced saying "Trick or Treat" all week.  What happens when people open the door?  Silence.  LOL  She does say "Thank you" though.

This. I'm so sorry your daughter has to remind adults to be just that! She's adorable. I can just imagine her standing there going "Thank you... thank you... thank you.... thank you..."

So cute :)

• If a child is 5 or under... I let them take a "handful" of candy.  That's because their hands are so little they really only get 2 or 3 pieces anyway.  Age 6 and above I give them 2 pieces.  If they're 10 or older... they have to tell me a joke OR sing to me before I give them 2 pieces of candy.  That's my rule.  I think kids older than 10 are too old to go trick or treating anyway so I make em work for it.  Stick out tongue
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageClerk9:
    This is awful!!!  Your poor little pumpkin!  She sounds just as incredibly adorable as she looks!!!  This has to be so confusing for her.  Well, FWIW, THANK YOU for being such a good Mommy & raising such a sweet little girl.  :)

Thanks!

imageemily0829:
    This. I'm so sorry your daughter has to remind adults to be just that! She's adorable. I can just imagine her standing there going "Thank you... thank you... thank you.... thank you..."

So cute :)

Thats it too!  Thank you!

Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • I love in a modest "family" neighborhood and our city actually advised that we place the candy in the childrens bags due to the flu.  They didn't want germy kids grabbing from the same bowl and then transferring the ickies.

All the kids waited for their treat and most said thank you. 

• imageMrsAmyB:

Ditto!  My DS will also keep saying "thank you" until the person acknowledges him and says "you're welcome".  Each door we went to tonight, my DS was saying "trick or treat" and then "Thank you" after getting candy.  

• I couldn't believe the number of brats out today. My son doesn't talk yet, but I at least made him wave "bye bye" to each house and said thank you myself to the givers of candy.

• I live in a middle class racially mixed, family oriented neighborhood and I don't have any complaints.

Other than a few times a parent would remind their child to say thank you and said child would not, all of the kids were super polite and sweet.  I held the bowl out for them (expecting kids to grab handfuls - we had a ton of candy) and they each took 1.  Very sweet.

Towards the end of the night, I had to tell them to take more :)

It made us really look forward to when we get to take our own little one out! 

• I swear we practiced saying, "Trick or Treat" for a month.  And last night he didn't say it ONCE lol.  But he is so little yet.  I think he was really overwhelmed!  He did say thank you (without me telling him to) a few times.  And never once did he reach for candy, he waited until it was given to him.  We'll get better as he gets older. I too think it's silly when the kids don't even say, "Trick or treat".  We went with my good friend and her kids (some are older) and I had to remind them to say it a few times.   
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • I handed out candy for the first time ever last night. Usually I take my younger siblings out but we don't live anywhere near them anymore lol.

Anyhow, I was completely disappointed in some of the kids. One example: There was this adorable little girl, she must have been 1 and she was trick or treating for herself, and her sister who was in the hospital (so sad) so I got down on my knees and was letting her take out the candy, as I did that, another kid, maybe 10, reached over her, about knocked her over, and grabbed a big handful of candy and he ran away. No trick or treat, no thank you, nothing. I felt awful for the little girl he shoved and I just didn't know what to say. 

I know it's Halloween and kids get excited, but sheesh. I couldn't believe that!

• I guess I feel really lucky that I don't live in a "pretty decent neighborhood; not really upper class, but higher middle class; a place where kids should be receiving a good education" because nearly EVERY child that trick-or-treated at my house said thank you- including some who could hardly walk or talk. Toward the end of the night (when my dog has had enough of people at our door) I usually set the bucket on the front step with a note telling kids to take their favorite, and I left the blinds open- I still like to see the little cuties!- and there were kids who saw me inside and would yell through the window "thank you". That makes me proud of the town I live in and the people that live around me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"