South Florida Babies

So what's a toddler's feeding schedule look like?

Hey guys! Sorry I've been MIA. Being a working mommy is busy busy! 

Nadia is officially done with bottles and formula! Today we survived Day 4. I'm super proud of her. She didn't even really notice the change.

So- tell me if I'm on track here...

She has a sippy of milk in the morning followed by breakfast (oatmeal, waffles, etc)

She has lunch with a sippy of water (chicken or picadillo, rice, beans, veggies, sphaggetti, etc) followed by fruit

A sippy of milk in the afternoon

Dinner (similar to lunch) with a sippy of milk

Should I start introducing more snacks- she doesn't really seem hungry and if she does she eats cheerios, or those baby cheeto things)? She is awake 12 hours (with two short naps- one morning and one after lunch) and sleeping 12 hours (if that detail matters).

Thanks!

Mari

Re: So what's a toddler's feeding schedule look like?

• Whoa, she doesn't nap???

Your schedule is exactly like ours (though we're still weening her off of the bottle and she has a nighttime bottle still... I can't break it!!) except that with her snack bottles/sippies I usually give her some fruit/baby cheetos/goldfish/etc...  but that's just to give her something to munch on.  Somedays she eats a snack, some days she throws it on the floor lol

Can you please do another post and share how you managed to 1) drop the bottle entirely and 2) kick the last bottle of the day habit??  Or email me!  lol  I need advice!

• It's a feeding schedule silly!

I didn't include naps! She takes two short naps. One in the morning and one after lunch! I will go back and edit!

• Loading the player...
  • Here is Zoe's schedule

8am breakfast with water

10am snack with milk

12pm lunch with water

2pm snack with milk

5pm dinner with milk

• jenny, you gotta go cold turkey! Trust me, after a few days, she wont even have a memory of the damn thing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i'm definitely going to try.... but like i said in mari's post, i think i'm going to wait to break the final bottle until after we get back from disney.  i don't know, i feel like she's going through sooo much, she needs just 1 bit of something to comfort her.  but I may just be being incredibly paranoid lol
  • These guys can handle alot more than you think! But you have to do what works for you. I had Alex off the bottle by this age, but Max definitely has an attachment to his bottle (and his thumb), so while I am dreading the experience, I now that it has to just disappear all together for him to forget, if only I could find a way to do that with his thumb?!?!?!?!
  • First off, Mari, you are a SUPERWOMAN. :)

I am just amazed that you get Nadia to eat all this great food.  Zachary has become a really picky eater and while he'll eat chicken nuggets, he will not eat regular old chicken. He won't eat veggies (unless its pureed, ugh), and he doesn't seem to like plain pasta that can be picked up. I keep trying and he just feeds the dog, whose stomach is starting to act up thanks to too many baby cheetos. He's also not much of a fan of waffles anymore either!!

He loves applesauce, english muffins, cheese, baby cheetos, blueberries (which are not in season - argh!) and chicken nuggets. He'll also eat mac n cheese but that has a lot of sodium. He also likes israeli cous cous. I can't get him to pick up veggies and eat them unless its a sweet potato, but I'm going to try a new recipe for zucchini soon, so we'll see how that goes. I end up feeding him a lot of veggie purees because I'm worried he won't get his veggies otherwise.

it's really frustrating. Sometimes I feel like all he eats is applesauce and cheese. lol.

Now, I'd also had Zachary off that bedtime sippy of formula but since we got back from California, with the time change, I have had serious issues getting him to bed without a sippy of milk. arrrghhhh.

Anyway congrats Mari and Nadia!!! Yay for transitioning to toddlerhood :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• imagekarenlisaphoto:

First off, Mari, you are a SUPERWOMAN. :)

I am just amazed that you get Nadia to eat all this great food.  Zachary has become a really picky eater and while he'll eat chicken nuggets, he will not eat regular old chicken. He won't eat veggies (unless its pureed, ugh), and he doesn't seem to like plain pasta that can be picked up. I keep trying and he just feeds the dog, whose stomach is starting to act up thanks to too many baby cheetos. He's also not much of a fan of waffles anymore either!!

He loves applesauce, english muffins, cheese, baby cheetos, blueberries (which are not in season - argh!) and chicken nuggets. He'll also eat mac n cheese but that has a lot of sodium. He also likes israeli cous cous. I can't get him to pick up veggies and eat them unless its a sweet potato, but I'm going to try a new recipe for zucchini soon, so we'll see how that goes. I end up feeding him a lot of veggie purees because I'm worried he won't get his veggies otherwise.

it's really frustrating. Sometimes I feel like all he eats is applesauce and cheese. lol.

Now, I'd also had Zachary off that bedtime sippy of formula but since we got back from California, with the time change, I have had serious issues getting him to bed without a sippy of milk. arrrghhhh.

Anyway congrats Mari and Nadia!!! Yay for transitioning to toddlerhood :)

The eating happened from one day to the next honestly! I was trying and trying and trying and trying and it was a constant struggle. She would gag, spit things out, shake her head no and then one day, out of nowhere she wanted to eat EVERYTHING I was eating. She would scream until I let her try it. From that point on, she's been mostly on table food (it's been like 2 weeks now). Her babysitter is great too. She cooks all sorts of great stuff for her during the day and that gives me ideas for dinner! I can not take all the credit. I sitll feed her baby food when I am out (like at the mall), but at home and restaurants- she's eating "people" food,

• Alexis has pretty much had the same schedule for a while.

8am wake up - sippy of milk

9 - 9:30 (ish) breakfast - variety of things - oatmeal, banana, waffle, eggs, cinnamon toast, toaster strudel, etc. 

12 lunch - usually a meat, cheese and fruit, like ham and cheese sandwich and apples for example with juice - apple or white grape

2pm sippy of milk (nap)

5 (or when she wakes up) snack with water - nutri grain bar, cheerios, crackers, etc.

7 - dinner with water

8 - sippy with milk and bed. 

I know a lot of people do the milk differently - they don't give milk first thing, they give it with breakfast, but this works for us.  She (like her mommy) is not a morning person so giving her a sippy of milk and letting her cuddle with me in bed while we watch TV for half an hour works.  Then once she's more awake she's ready for food.  

I will stop giving her the bedtime bottle soon so that I can potty train her.  I will just move it up and more than likely give it to her with dinner.  I don't give her a morning snack b/c breakfast is late and close to lunch.  Play around with it and see what works.   Alexis is also a very good eater and will pretty much eat anything that's offered so I'm lucky in that sense, however she has her days where she won't eat much and I don't stress about it :) 

image image

• Oh dear....I thought this was supposed to happen at a year!  What do I do if we believe Spencer has a milk allergy?  I'm terrified to give him milk.  And with the sippy, he'll use a sippy cup, but won't hold it himself and not necessarily continuously drink out of it.  Oy!  I hate that they didn't come with an instruction manual!

Photo courtesy of www.yaporiginals.com
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    It's Beshert
  • Hey Gena, you could always try soy or Lactaid Milk. I know Rach is using soy milk with Lynda. I am going to be starting Zachary on Lactaid milk this week since I figured out from using a free can of Similac Advance (we usually use Sensitive) that he is lactose intolerant. Fun!

I'm also going to get some soy milk (will probably try Vanilla Silk) too to try out since it's portable (they sell it in those juice box containers by Edensoy) and will be easy for me to take when I'm out and need to give him "milk" since the soy milk box containers don't have to be refrigerated.

btw, I'm also lactose intolerant and I grew up on soy and rice milk and it wasn't bad at all. I loved the vanilla and chocolate soy/rice milk as a kid... it was soooo yummy!!!!

My next step is going to be trying to teach him how to drink with a straw. I think I will try to do it with the vanilla soy milk because it's really yummy and hopefully I will be able to convince him to suck it down! :) 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Gena~

Talk to the pedi first, but we started Zoe on soymilk also because we thought she had a milk allergy, but then it turned out she didn't.

As far as the sippy. Just keep giving it to him over and over all day long! Put his formula in there instead of water and see what he does with it. It just takes practice! I feel like I remember being anxious about Zoe not "Getting" the sippy, but by the time she was a year she was getting all her liquids in it and was doing great! He will get it!

• I am also concerned Joshua has a milk allergy. He appeared to have one at a couple of months b/c I had to stop eating dairy while bfing and he at one point, had similac advance and developed a rash all over. however, I am also aware that babies outgrow this allergy so lately, I have been trying pieces of cheese which he has been doing fine with. The only problem that I noticed was yogurt. We tried the yo yo baby and he developed these red blotches around his mouth, but nothing on his body. This rash disappeared after a few minutes. Yesterday, my mother gave him some cow's milk (about 2oz) and today he got about 4oz and is seeming to tolerate it well. No diarrhea or rash. I dont know whats up with the yogurt. I do have the silk soy carton just in case he does develop a rash. I was also thinking of when I take him to the pedi for a 1st year checkup to run an allergy test to see if he is in fact allergic.
  • You are doing great, Mari! Nadia's appetite and palate sounds a lot like Sophie's. My kid is constantly asking me for Rice and Beans. LOLOLOL.

Snacks are up to you. Sophie gets them at daycare twice a day but at home or on the weekends only at about 3pm to hold her off until dinner. Snacks consist of yogurt, cheese and crackerss, fruit, pretzels...etc. Mandarin oranges are becoming a favorite in my house.

Good for you for getting Nadia off bottles and formula at the same time! I did the switch gradually. Meaning, I first introduced milk in a bottle in place of formula. Then went cold turkey and had all of her daytime milk servings in a sippy cup at 13 months. By 15 months or so she was off the nighttime bottle, too, and had that milk in a sippy.

• this is mady's schedule - she's been on the same schedule for some months now:

sippy of milk when she wakes up

8:30am breakfast - i offer: toast, mini eggos with jelly, oatmeal, actual cereal and milk (ex: kix, cheerios, special k) mixed with fruit....pancakes, waffles, applesauce, etc

11:30am snack w/ either water or juice (followed by nap) - i offer: ham/cheese rollups, gerber cheetos, fruit, yogurt, graham crackers, cereal bars, cheese sticks

1:30pm-2pm - lunch w/water: i offer: peanut butter jelly sandwich, quesadillas, chicken/rice, raviolis, tortellini, spaghetti, ground beef/rice, croissant with cream cheese and turkey, mini hamburgers, chicken fingers...her dessert is usually some sort of fruit

5pm - small sippy of milk with a small snack

7pm - dinner (whatever we are having) with milk.

8pm - bedtime routine

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jake was diagnosed with a milk allergy at 2 weeks old but a blood test at 11 months showed he outgrew it. He is on 100% whole milk now and doing great!I am bad though, he is still on bottles and purees. We are working on it though. It's frustrating because he won't hold the sippy or bottle so I still have to feed it to him
  • imageMrsVictoriaB:
    Jake was diagnosed with a milk allergy at 2 weeks old but a blood test at 11 months showed he outgrew it. He is on 100% whole milk now and doing great!I am bad though, he is still on bottles and purees. We are working on it though. It's frustrating because he won't hold the sippy or bottle so I still have to feed it to him

We are in the same boat Victoria. Joshua bites on the sippy cup spout and doesnt hold it correctly. but its ok. I think both our babies will get it with time.

• imageMrsVictoriaB:
    Jake was diagnosed with a milk allergy at 2 weeks old but a blood test at 11 months showed he outgrew it. He is on 100% whole milk now and doing great!I am bad though, he is still on bottles and purees. We are working on it though. It's frustrating because he won't hold the sippy or bottle so I still have to feed it to him

Evan is very similar and he's a bit older! He takes the sippy just fine and working on the night time bottle. He tends to like most things pureed although he does eat chicken nuggets very well. Otherwise we struggle. We've tried giving him chopped fruit and he has thrown it out consistently till today he finally gave it a shot! So just keep trying and one day he will surprise you! And don't worry, Jake is not behind...I think some of the kiddies around here are just advanced! ;)  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imageMariM:

Hey guys! Sorry I've been MIA. Being a working mommy is busy busy! 

Nadia is officially done with bottles and formula! Today we survived Day 4. I'm super proud of her. She didn't even really notice the change.

So- tell me if I'm on track here...

She has a sippy of milk in the morning followed by breakfast (oatmeal, waffles, etc)

She has lunch with a sippy of water (chicken or picadillo, rice, beans, veggies, sphaggetti, etc) followed by fruit

A sippy of milk in the afternoon

Dinner (similar to lunch) with a sippy of milk

Should I start introducing more snacks- she doesn't really seem hungry and if she does she eats cheerios, or those baby cheeto things)? She is awake 12 hours (with two short naps- one morning and one after lunch) and sleeping 12 hours (if that detail matters).

Thanks!

Mari

This sounds great, Nadia seems to have quite a bit of variety of foods and a good routine going! In terms of snacks I am not sure. Our pedi recommends no snacks but we do tend to give Evan snacks here and there to hold him off to the next meal.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    BFP #3: 01/28/12, EDD: 09/23/12, MMC (BO), D&C 2/16/12 at 6.5 wks
    BFP #4: 05/23/12, EDD: 01/31/12, Early MC at 5 wks

RPL Workup: + LPD (7DPO Prog = 7.8, Endometrial Bx = out of phase)
    Elevated Alpha 2-glycoprotein IgA and antiphosphatidylserine IgM -->
    Hematologist said not to worry and no need for treatment!

Dx: LPD
    Cycle #1(08/2012): Clomid 50 mg CD3-7, Ovidrel CD13 + Progesterone = It worked!
    BFP #5 on 09/10/12 (11 DPO). HCG #1 @ 14DPO = 131.6 HCG #2 @ 16DPO = 509
    EDD: 05/23/2013 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imagekvwerne:

imageMrsVictoriaB:

We are in the same boat Victoria. Joshua bites on the sippy cup spout and doesnt hold it correctly. but its ok. I think both our babies will get it with time.

let me also add that Joshua only has 2 teeth! his bottom ones. and I know that they mash up foods with their gums but im so paranoid that he is going to choke that i havent tried much. We are on day 2 of just cows milk (before we mixed it with formula) and he is doing great thankfully.

Here is our food schedule:

Morning wake up: bottle of milk

Breakfast: i usually offer whole grain waffle, egg, banana and then a pureed oatmeal/fruit. and then bottle of milk

Snack of cheerios, crackers

Lunch is usually pureed meats/veggies and fruit with sippy of water, followed by bottle of milk

in b/t lunch and dinner, he gets another bottle of milk and a snack

Dinner: usually just whatever Im eating. The other day, he ate avocados, cooked pasta, and deli turkey, cubed cheese. with sippy of water. or if he didnt eat much from my plate, ill offer oatmeal/mixed grains/fruit pureed.

Bedtime: bottle of milk

• how do you ladies get the energy to cook so much? I admit I have horrible eating habits and although I'm not a bad cook I don't like expending the time doing it (I'd rather be working) and just eat something I can make quickly. usually it is not something baby friendly.

I have a hard time trying to cook 3x a day, especially when I spend time cooking something and Zachary refuses to eat it. yes, there are days when I have offered him 2-3 different things for dinner and he just eats puffs. not ashamed to admit it! it just pisses me off that I have wasted SO much time especially when it's not even something I would be eating.

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"