Parenting
Options

Do you have a healthcare spending acct. or

dependant spending acct.? I have an hour to get my benefits enrollment done and I can't decide. I hate this grown-up crap.

Re: Do you have a healthcare spending acct. or

• Options

ues. I don't use dependent care, but I use flex spending for health care.

I allocated $750 for 2009 and have used every penny. I don't do this until next month for 2010.

Did you have a specific question?

Christmas 2009 image
  • Options
    hmmm...that first word is supposed to be yes.
    Christmas 2009 image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We do, but right now it's not really worth it because with our current insurance our co-pays are $10 and almost everything is 100% covered.  With our old insurance, it was worth it b/c we had an HSA plan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes to both. 

For the FSA, I figured rough copays for visits I was planning (annual appointment, dermatologist a couple times, eye doctor) and then added in the kids' planned appointments and estimated some for prescriptions.  I always spend more than I put aside in my FSA. 

Daycare is extremely expensive so I set aside the max for that ($5,000).  Sadly, that is all used up by about March or April in a January-December year.

TOTALLY worth it if you plan on using it.  Your tax savings are huge!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have both. Love the healthcare one. The dependent care is sometimes more trouble than it's worth, but that's mainly because our finances are so tight right now. It involves some juggling.

We only put like $400 or so in the healthcare acct for the year, but we could probably do more.

imageimage
    Alex (11/14/06) and Nate (5/25/10)
    "Want what you have, do what you can, be who you are." - Rev. Forrest Church
  • Options
    imagetrue_norskie:

Yes to both. 

For the FSA, I figured rough copays for visits I was planning (annual appointment, dermatologist a couple times, eye doctor) and then added in the kids' planned appointments and estimated some for prescriptions.  I always spend more than I put aside in my FSA. 

Daycare is extremely expensive so I set aside the max for that ($5,000).  Sadly, that is all used up by about March or April in a January-December year.

TOTALLY worth it if you plan on using it.  Your tax savings are huge!

So maybe I'm not sure what you mean by "dependent" care.  I was assuming daycare...that's what I meant in my response, anyway.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No specific question. I was just curious how many people actually use them. The childcare one isn't nec. at the moment as A isn't in any program. I think (knock on wood) I'll be ok if I forego the healthca are one. My indecisive side is working overtime.

• Options
    FWIW, there is a lot more that is coverd besides doctors appt and co pays.  I had no idea I could use it for OTC medicine, eye drops, band aids, and stuff like that.  Our FSA gave us a debit card and any store that can show you on the receipt what items are covered will take it.  You swipe it first and the amount is deducted.  I didn't miss it from my paycheck and it was nice to be able to buy things for 'free'.
    Christmas 2009 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"