Breastfeeding

What do I need for "me" to breastfeed?

I have a pump ready, I also got breastmilk storage bags, a nipple shield, and nursing pads for in my bras.

I am not sure what else I need... I know I need bras, but how many sleep and how many regular?

Anything else I am missing that would be essential/helpful?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What do I need for "me" to breastfeed?

• Lanolin to put on your nipples when they're sore (Lansinoh makes the one most people use).  Just be careful -- it'll stain any fabric it touches.

For bras, don't buy any yet because your bra size will change.  Buy 3 or 4 nursing tank tops from Target (Gilligan and O'Malley brand).  Those will get you through the first couple weeks.  Then go out and buy bras once your milk has come in and engorgement has gone down.  I don't wear a sleep bra anymore -- I usually wear a nursing tank to bed, but sometimes I wear nothing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • I agree with pp.  Definitely some Lansinoh lanolin and some nursing tanks, but wait on the bras.  I wouldn't go overboard on anything because you never know what you'll end up needing or not needing.  I bought a bunch of nursing pads but never really leaked much so I didn't use them and they're still sitting around.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PPs...and don't forget a good dose of patience, which I'm sure you already knew. A lot of deep breaths and patience will do a new breastfeeding mom good. GL to you!
  • I wouldn't buy regular bras yet, but I have lived in my Target/Gilligan & O'Malley sleep bra. It's super comfortable, and I've preferred wearing that to the tanks.
    "For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • These gel pads are handy to have around for the first couple weeks...will definitely help with the nipple tenderness.  I'd recommend even taking them with you to the hospital.

Link: https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2901998

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I love my sleep bras!  I get really full at night if DS sleeps well (ok, so not lately) and it's really uncomfortable without them. 
  • I only used nursing pads (I am very lucky and don't have sensitive nipples so didn't get the shields or creams until I thought I needed them which I never did).  I did get nursing bras beforehand and just bought them big - I have a weird size so I was stressing about having a hard time finding them after the baby was born (I just bought big).  I have one sleep/comfort bra, 2 regular, 2 tanks (which I love and wear to sleep sometimes too) and my mom got me a nursing nightgown which I use a lot too.

The only other thing I really liked having (besides nursing pillows) was a water bottle my friend bought me with a built in straw.  I also used bendy straws too - when I first began nursing, I was thirsty ALL THE TIME so this allowed my husband to help me drink while feeding.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Definitely Lansinoh lanolin.  That stuff SAVED my nipples for the first 6 weeks or so.  I also would suggest a nursing pillow like a Boppy or My Brest Friend.  It really helped in the beginning when your baby wants to nurse all.the.time and your arms get to be noodles from constantly holding them in cradle positions.  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Try not to use the nipple shield unless you really need to! GL :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lanisoh lanolin

tanks/bras

breast pads (ultrasoft lanisoh are really nice at first)

boppy

burp cloths

comfy rocker/glider w/ foot stool/rest

• https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/breast-care/102/softshells-for-sore-nipples

A good friend (and an experienced bf'er) got these for me. I will forever be in her debt!! They saved my poor nips in the first few weeks.

• Just FYI - I would try to stay away from the breast shields unless you absolutely need them.  They can cause a decrease in supply.  There are times when they are necessary, but I would try to avoid it if possible.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you!  I was not aware of the breast shields causing a decrease in supply.  Maybe I will return them.  Is there a reason that I might need them?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"