Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Changing Table -vs- Dresser/Changing Table

I'm a first time mom due in March and I am very confused about the whole changing table -vs- dresser/changing table. It seems like most furniture collections do not have a changing table but instead they have the combo. What confuses me most, is the safety of just putting a changing table pad on top of the dresser. Doesn't it move around like crazy? I don't know if it is confusing b/c I have never done this before but I am just super confused. Hopefully you guys can fill me in on this mystery. I would also be open to any recomendations for furniture collections that include old school changing tables.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Changing Table -vs- Dresser/Changing Table

• Options
    we opted for a dresser rather than a changing table simply so that we can use the dresser later on as a real piece of furniture.  the changing pad we got has the belt on it that then can screw onto the back of the dresser to hold it in place.  i also got one of those rug grippys to put underneath it to keep it from sliding around.
  • Options

I think changing tables are a waste of money since it is only used temporally, most are not very well constructed (from the ones I have seen). Plus I honestly believe the small "rails" that are kind of built in to the changing table will not prevent your LO from falling over if he or she was going to.

You can anchor the changing pad cover onto the dresser for extra security.

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I bought a dresser/changer combo. It still has the side/back rails to keep baby safe. The changer part screws into the back of the dresser, so it can later be taken off and no holes on top to see..

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10159953

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagecarlysuesmith:
    we opted for a dresser rather than a changing table simply so that we can use the dresser later on as a real piece of furniture.  the changing pad we got has the belt on it that then can screw onto the back of the dresser to hold it in place.  i also got one of those rug grippys to put underneath it to keep it from sliding around.

This exactly. I don't like the look of changing tables and felt I would get much better use out of a dresser/changer combo.  

• Options
    I was confused at first too but after I went to a couple stores and looked at what they had on display I opted to spend a little more on a dresser and not do a changing table.  Some companies have attachments for back and sides of the double dresser or combo to make it look more like a changing table top (I think Westwood is the one I saw) but the salesman told me its pretty useless and its just ask safe as putting a changing pad directly on the dresser and most people don't use it.  I ended up going with just a double dresser that didn't have a backing for the top after seeing them all in person.  If you really want a changing table though just go to BRU, they have a ton of them you can match to pretty much any crib color.
    Krissy and Craig
    Mr. & Mrs. as of May 23, 2009
    Parents to Baby Jack as of March 4, 2010
    and Bobbi Claire June 7, 2012
  • Options
    I'm just getting a dresser. My mom swears that once I heal, I'll be changing diapers on the floor.
  • Options

We used a dresser we had and just put a changing pad on top. After 2 months of this (the dresser was too tall) and my back hurt trying to reach up and change him we bought a changing table for 25 bucks off craiglist. It is awesome! You can always just use a dresser but the height by not be perfect and it bothered me. We didnt want to spend 150 bucks on a changing table from teh store so we just got a gently used one from ebay for a great deal. It matches our furniture and no one can tell its not part of the "set."

If you do use a dresser and you dont want the pad to slip (mine never did) you can put down that drawer liner stuff. Its at target and its a cream colored, rubbery type of lining. It works great as far as I know.

Natural M/C:@5 wks 7/31/07 Natural M/C:@5 wks 12/27/09 Missed M/C, D&C:@9 wks 06/13/11
  • Options
    We were going to get a dresser/changing table combo, but our plans changed when we moved. DH ended up getting a new dresser that matches our bedroom set, so we had an extra dresser. It's a tall dresser with about 6 drawers. He's had it since he was young and it matched his twin bed that will also be in the nursery, so we decided to give the dresser to LO. It's too tall to put a pad on, so we had to get a separate changing table. The crib we got also matches the dresser and the twin bed pretty closely because they all came from Ikea. We just got a cheaper changing table that also matched pretty closely. I'm happy with it though. We should get some use out of it because we plan to have our 2nd baby soon after this one. Plus the dresser has tons of storage space.

image image

BFP#1 06/01/09~DS Born 01/29/10 via c/s 

BFP#2 05/17/12~EDD 01/18/13~Natural M/C 05/27/12@6w2d 

BFP#3 07/03/12~DD Born 03/08/13 via sched. c/s 

BFP #4 10/03/13 EDD 06/09/14 SURPRISE!!! On our way to 2u2!

image image

International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)...BF questions/concens welcome!

• Options

imagePunkyBooster:
    I'm just getting a dresser. My mom swears that once I heal, I'll be changing diapers on the floor.

My mom swears the same thing! She thinks changers are a total waste...LOL.

• Options
    Ds's changing pad on top off a dresser worked fine.  The bottom of his changing pad base had a plastic on it so it couldn't move around.  I never had one issue with it in terms of safety.  My mother diapered all four of her children in top of a dresser/changing table.  Straight up changing tables IMO are less useful b/c there isn't as much storage under them and all your stuff is basically just sitting out in the open.  I don't understand just changing tables myself.  They seem less sturdy but, that's me.  Get what you want.      
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We bought a regular dresses and just topped it with a changing pad. It works great!
  • Options
    No baby yet, but we opted for a dresser with the changing pad right on top.  We got  furniture from Stanley's Young America collection, that we are hoping will last a longgggggggg time, which was our reasoning for NOT getting the changing table or the attachment for the dresser.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"